greenhornet73

Mola mola

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, FishermanTim said:

Reminded me of the time a basking shark swam into Quincy Bay near Wollaston Beach, and some idiot was out on his crappy rowboat trying to snag it. When the EPO showed up and read him the riot act (harassing wildlife) he got the hint and left.

There are always some people that want to hook everything just so they can say "Lookie what I caught" in their idiotic online video boasts. Makes me want to hook them and post that.....Naw, why ruin good tackle on crap?

I remember that fairly recently, but I think a long time ago in the 80s at the same location some guys were chasing a basking shark with rifles. Idiots!

I’ve been seeing multiple mola mola the last 3 trips out along the cohasset to Marshfield stretch. I had two of them next to me for two hours yesterday while catching bass. I like to watch them and had them swim with the boat for a long period of time. They are curious fish. I even had one that let me pet it a few years back. 

If you guys want your videos to link, you need to upload them to Youtube (or Vimeo) first. Uploading them here sort of works, but everyone who wants to watch it has to fully download it first.  

I see many every year off shore.they are a very curious fish often swim around the boat checking everything out.

catching one would be the same as mugging an elderly woman.

58 mins ago, hotfishgirl said:

I see many every year off shore.they are a very curious fish often swim around the boat checking everything out.

catching one would be the same as mugging an elderly woman.

Hahaha I get it, I get it now.  I’m not from around here and didn’t know what the deal was with them.  I have seen one swimming around me every day now at my fishing spot behind the house and we wave good morning to each other.  It could be the middle fin but I like to think it’s being friendly.

I find it rather funny how people are reacting to even the mention of hooking a mola mola. It reminds me of the same crowd that says "seals are too cute and cuddly to cull so we should kill the sharks instead". 

This am in a 7 mile long place to fish one ran into my line - was ready to cut line as I in no way wanted to try to pull this thing in and felt real bad...  The gods set it free without incident

Tper 

I saw one on Saturday at Whitehorse Beach, wife and I saw the fin, neighbors near us were yelling "There's  a shark chasing a seal!"  I run down and see the huge fin, then it went sideways into the water then back again and again and again.  Had to explain an ocean sunfish to them and showed them a pic from my Peterson Field guide. The guy's been on the beach there for 50 years and was shocked that he never heard of one, but definitely agreed it was a mola mola when he saw the picture of the fin. My brother in law next door saw 3 swimming together yesterday.

Edited by John O'