greenhornet73

Mola mola

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

This morning I saw two mola mola basking on the surface in two different areas.  Pretty cool to see and am wondering if there are any regulations for them and if they are good eating.  Both I saw had to be pushing 100# though so I would probably release it due to more meat than I could use.  Interested to hear if anyone has tried them before or caught them?

27 mins ago, greenhornet73 said:

This morning I saw two mola mola basking on the surface in two different areas.  Pretty cool to see and am wondering if there are any regulations for them and if they are good eating.  Both I saw had to be pushing 100# though so I would probably release it due to more meat than I could use.  Interested to hear if anyone has tried them before or caught them?

One of my friends dads has hooked one before.  They were offshore flounder fishing when one showed up next to their boat.  They casted in a treble hook and snagged it.  He said that it was the hardest fighting fish he has ever seen (and he has caught some big fish).  He said it took screaming runs and jumped multiple times as well.  When it jumped he said that it would land on its side and skip across the water like a stone.  I would never hook one (unless completely accidental) because I would feel too bad purposefully snagging a fish like that.  

Reminded me of the time a basking shark swam into Quincy Bay near Wollaston Beach, and some idiot was out on his crappy rowboat trying to snag it. When the EPO showed up and read him the riot act (harassing wildlife) he got the hint and left.

There are always some people that want to hook everything just so they can say "Lookie what I caught" in their idiotic online video boasts. Makes me want to hook them and post that.....Naw, why ruin good tackle on crap?

For the record, I was only watching it and not being from the area didn’t know what the regulations were on them or if they are even anything anglers pursue which is why I did not cast to it, just photographed. 

I had a cool close up video of it swimming by, too bad it wouldn’t upload.  Very cool looking fish as it was swimming peacefully on it side.  At first I thought it was caught up in a lobster trap rope until it made its way to me unobstructed.

1 hour ago, greenhornet73 said:

For the record, I was only watching it and not being from the area didn’t know what the regulations were on them or if they are even anything anglers pursue which is why I did not cast to it, just photographed. 

Sorry, I wasn't implying you at all.

There was a video about a year or so ago with some "south-boston" sounding guys that had no idea what a "mola-mola" is (ocean sunfish) and their running commentary tells you all you needed to know.

I was on a fishing charter a couple decades ago, and a huge one swam under the boat.

I was on the lee-ward side of the boat when the head emerged right under me.

Man, it's width (fin to fin, top to bottom) was almost half the boat length!

Of course I had known before actually seeing one that their primary food source is jellyfish.

They are weird looking but cool when you realize how well they can move through the water!

We have one that did not make the storm on the beach near the east end jetty at the Horizans They are only abl to swim in one direction and mostly float with the currents