Jammin81

Best knot for 60lbs mono leader?

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

I use the polamar knot. Trick I found especially to keep from looping back over the swivel eye and not turning out is to have plenty of line so start to tighten down the knot far ahead of the swivel or hook eye. Lots of spit and pliers on one end line wrapped around your had a few times on the other. Another tip is be sure you are tying with the curl of the line and not against it. Also make sure your swivel eye is larger enough. The newer high strength swivels are much smaller than they used to be. 

33 mins ago, Batman67 said:

5 turn clinch, make sure it is wet. Work knot slow, tighten with needlenose pliers on tag end  

I use the improved version but starting to lean towards the trilene know lately. This is easy to tie and also as strong. 

One feature that is often overlooked with Palomar vs some other knots is that you target larger species that put up a tussle your leader lay on hook is doubled ! This alone adds strength and dura Kluth to this knot as opposed to others !  It’s not for all Applications  but finefor most of line can pass thru swivel etc !

Posted (edited) · Report post

Regardless of which type of knot I tie, I bring one of these mini seal picks with me. Put it thru the opposing swivel eye or clip and you can go to town without it slipping. 

031C76DB-EB16-4B85-A8B0-6E4DA761BC42.jpeg.d28ec5ff5b7cfb33f8fc2e42c857a449.jpeg

Edited by telecronista
More words

7 hours ago, valentine said:

4 turn Uni-Knot works well for me. I’ve used it successfully on mono up to 100lbs. Never had a problem, that I can recall. 

I use it to tie mono to mono and love the knot. I started heavily using the trilene knot which basically ends up the same as the uni. I like how it doubles around the eye or swivel (similar to the Palomar) 

im heading out next week so hoping I catch something worth while to test it with!

11 hours ago, Capt. Lou said:

One feature that is often overlooked with Palomar vs some other knots is that you target larger species that put up a tussle your leader lay on hook is doubled ! This alone adds strength and dura Kluth to this knot as opposed to others !  It’s not for all Applications  but finefor most of line can pass thru swivel etc !

This is why I started looking at the trilene knot vs uni/clinch.

i wanted the double pass through in case. 

After a a few hits from the blues most leaders look ragged!

Posted (edited) · Report post

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 0:07 PM, Jammin81 said:

What’s the best knot for 60lbs leader (mono) 

inuse the polamar religiously for braid 20-40lbs but it doesn’t seem to cinch down tightly when using it on the heavier mono leader. 

I satrted to use  a mono leader so was wondering what’s the best knot for attaching the swivels or hooks to mono? 

Any advice? I basically use the improved clinch knot and is easiest / quickest so far. 

Peace!

I use the improved clinch without hassle on 80lb mono leader,i only give it 4 wraps though and it holds solid, no slip..

my range is 50-80lb depending on if large gators are around.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter