Jammin81

Best knot for 60lbs mono leader?

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

What’s the best knot for 60lbs leader (mono) 

inuse the polamar religiously for braid 20-40lbs but it doesn’t seem to cinch down tightly when using it on the heavier mono leader. 

I satrted to use  a mono leader so was wondering what’s the best knot for attaching the swivels or hooks to mono? 

Any advice? I basically use the improved clinch knot and is easiest / quickest so far. 

Peace!

15 mins ago, ASrod said:

I use a Palomar knot and have no problems and I use a 60lb mono leader for most of my fishing.

I use it as standard for braid. I just need practice to get it to cinch down on the heavier line I guess. I'm heading out this weekend so will get it down packed on the leader!

What I do is clip my swivel to my clip and pull both sides by the main and tag ends with everything I have and it seems to do the trick. 

Yeah that why I never really used it for the mono. I couldn't get it to close properly and worried it would slip tying the swivels.

I will try again later and use a clip or pliers to hold and cinch it down. It's a knot that's never failed me on the braids so here's hoping!

Posted (edited) · Report post

This is also used by the guys I fish with, and I believe was recommended here as well by some trusted posters: 

Edited by TLap21

Nice! Very similar to the “trilene” knot. I use the improved cinch knot now or the trilene whatever. 

Basically pass as the line through twice before wrapping it. 

Thanks fornthe video also. 

15 mins ago, NPV said:

Doesn't get much simpler or stronger than this.

I use it religiously for mono to mono <

Funny by how I’ve never used it to attach a hook or swivel!!

I use a version of the nail knot using a little tool available Amazon called the Tie Fast tool.  Makes perfect knots every time and haven't ever had a knot break.

Outside of the nail knot , Palomar is reliable ! The trick with heavier mono is to make sure you slide both sections of mono together as u tighten knot . I alternate by snugging up one end until both lay flat on hook then as a final

pull after pull both ends to tighten . Moisten knot well ! 

I e taken giants on think of with heavy mono leaders, 60 #  o big deal !

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 turn clinch, not improved. Tighten with pliers. Bite the tag flat with pliers, close to the knot, then cut it off leaving a little of the flattened end.

Edited by Stewie

20 mins ago, Stewie said:

3 turn clinch, not improved. Tighten with pliers. Bite the tag flat with pliers, close to the knot, then cut it off leaving a little of the flattened end.

This is what I do now. I just wrap and do the improved version while flattening with pliers. I'm going to try the palomar for the leader as I love it for braid. I feel it has been user error on the heaver lines and going to try later after work. 

2 hours ago, ASrod said:

What I do is clip my swivel to my clip and pull both sides by the main and tag ends with everything I have and it seems to do the trick. 

I utilize the swivel as well.  Gives a better grip to apply tension required for the knot.  Don't use pliers on your swivel or you'll weaken the hardware.