Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tk118

It was me who was there yesterday

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Down the Cape for the weekend with my four sister-in-laws and their husbands . I was reminded repeatedly "don't forget your golf clubs" because the husbands, all golfers , would be hitting the links and with the weather report Sunday would be the golf day. I on the other hand kept reminding myself "don't forget the flyrod" . Saturday morning was my day to fish and tropical downpours and gale force winds weren't going to deter me. With the wind from the North I had a south facing beach in mind and a when I pulled into the parking lot, though it was pouring out, the wind was manageable .It would be blowing from behind on my right shoulder and being a righty I would be casting backwards to avoid impaling myself with the gurgler I was starting out with . A mile or so down was the mouth of a bay and I would be catching the start of the outgoing tide and my plan was to fish there. Upon arriving a good rip had formed , schools of peanut bunker were holding close to shore and the terns divebombing on them. On my 3rd cast the gurgler swung into the seam or the rip and a striper nailed it , a couple of cast later the same thing .Both fish were in that 24 inch range and with the strong current they both put a good bend in the 9wt. Soon after landing the second fish that's when all hell broke lose, a school of stripers found the peanut bunker and it's as if someone had turned on a switch fish were breaking everywhere. There were so my birds around I was afraid of hooking them in midair with my cast and of course the stripers ignored my gurgler now. Put on a small clouser that looked more sand eel than peanut bunker and though I took a few fish it was not the right fly. I'm frantically searching my fly boxes for the right match, the baitfish are beaching themselves right at my feet, and the stripers are practically coming onshore to get them and that's when I found a fly, that to my eye anyways, looked peanut bunkerish. And after tying it in on so did the fish. For the next 20 minutes I landed several fish lost a couple all with not a soul around me, I guess the weather kept people away . The next day I fished a couple of hours before I was about to embarrass myself on the golf course . As bad as the weather was on Saturday it was just the opposite on Sunday ,a beautiful sunny day . And the fishing was the opposite also , not a single fish .As I was walking back to the car I bumped into a fisherman on his way out . I was the usual greetings "good morning, how's the fishing out there" I told him I had no luck today but "you should have been her yesterday"     

P9052315.JPG

P9092265.JPG

7 hours ago, tk118 said:

Down the Cape for the weekend with my four sister-in-laws and their husbands . I was reminded repeatedly "don't forget your golf clubs" because the husbands, all golfers , would be hitting the links and with the weather report Sunday would be the golf day. I on the other hand kept reminding myself "don't forget the flyrod" . Saturday morning was my day to fish and tropical downpours and gale force winds weren't going to deter me. With the wind from the North I had a south facing beach in mind and a when I pulled into the parking lot, though it was pouring out, the wind was manageable .It would be blowing from behind on my right shoulder and being a righty I would be casting backwards to avoid impaling myself with the gurgler I was starting out with . A mile or so down was the mouth of a bay and I would be catching the start of the outgoing tide and my plan was to fish there. Upon arriving a good rip had formed , schools of peanut bunker were holding close to shore and the terns divebombing on them. On my 3rd cast the gurgler swung into the seam or the rip and a striper nailed it , a couple of cast later the same thing .Both fish were in that 24 inch range and with the strong current they both put a good bend in the 9wt. Soon after landing the second fish that's when all hell broke lose, a school of stripers found the peanut bunker and it's as if someone had turned on a switch fish were breaking everywhere. There were so my birds around I was afraid of hooking them in midair with my cast and of course the stripers ignored my gurgler now. Put on a small clouser that looked more sand eel than peanut bunker and though I took a few fish it was not the right fly. I'm frantically searching my fly boxes for the right match, the baitfish are beaching themselves right at my feet, and the stripers are practically coming onshore to get them and that's when I found a fly, that to my eye anyways, looked peanut bunkerish. And after tying it in on so did the fish. For the next 20 minutes I landed several fish lost a couple all with not a soul around me, I guess the weather kept people away . The next day I fished a couple of hours before I was about to embarrass myself on the golf course . As bad as the weather was on Saturday it was just the opposite on Sunday ,a beautiful sunny day . And the fishing was the opposite also , not a single fish .As I was walking back to the car I bumped into a fisherman on his way out . I was the usual greetings "good morning, how's the fishing out there" I told him I had no luck today but "you should have been her yesterday"     

P9052315.JPG

P9092265.JPG

Nice work

2 hours ago, Ab4usa said:

I'm going to be there next week (Chatham).  Lots of fly fishing experience but not from shore.  Where can I walk out and fish?  I have 3 mornings.

Nowhere. Seals and sharks everywhere. Should go to the canal instead.  

13 hours ago, Ab4usa said:

I'm going to be there next week (Chatham).  Lots of fly fishing experience but not from shore.  Where can I walk out and fish?  I have 3 mornings.

Ton of spots in Chatham area to fish. Google is helpful and a road atlas will give up much good info as well.. If really stuck think inlets.

mike

22 hours ago, tk118 said:

P9052315.JPG

P9092265.JPG

Nice report, I love those times when youre on the beach alone, not a soul just making up for all those days you werent.  You never know if you dont bring the rod along.  Great fly, never seen one weighted like that but i bet it helped with a back wind.

21 hours ago, Ab4usa said:

most of the action is in or near the estuaries/creeks,fish come in on the evening tide,feed all nt and exit on the drop,fish in the AM are stuffed but some will go for one more bite,I prefer the evening tide that brings in the hungry fish,unless you're fishing funny fish casting into the ocean can be fruitless this time of year if there's not a school of bait in front of you