Rlan401

Eels in the bilge

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Yep. Had a bucket kicked, eels on deck. 2 got down the skuppers and into the bilge. I can see em in happily sitting in the drain that comes from the center of the boat, just hanging in the little bit of water in the bottom of the tube. Very difficult to access the anything but the mouth of the drain tube and soon as I go near they just back up. Suggestions? Can't wait for the stink. Its a trophy 1802 so the layout of the bilge, stringers and tubes is terrible.

Throw a 32" striper into the bilge. Problem solved! 

Seriously, you could put some bait in an old minnow trap and put it in the bilge. Eels don't need to be in water but they will get hungry slithering around so maybe you can entice them to dine on a rotten squid or bunker. Good luck. 

Then again, every time your bilge pump kicks in it will be pushing eel slime/scent into the water. Maybe just keep them fed and they will be like striper chum until the season ends! 

200lb mono, circle hook and a piece of bait ... tie line to motor (or anything really) with very little play and leave for a day or 2 ... voila!

Posted (edited) · Report post

How big is the opening you can see them through? Why not duck tape a hook to a skinny stick like object and gaff them out? 

Edited by aae0130

Tried shop vac, no dice. Minnow trap has potential. I'll be eelin twice a week now til November so with the guys I fish with, I doubt they'll be the last two down there. Maybe they'll breed and my bilge will turn into a live well. I'll dEEL with it at the end of the season. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

20 hours ago, aae0130 said:

How big is the opening you can see them through? Why not duck tape a hook to a skinny stick like object and gaff them out? 

Ever try to gaff an eel? :point:

Edited by MakoMike

This will only work if the boat is out of the water.  Grab a hose and flood the bilge with 15 or 20 gallons of water.  Pull the drain plug and they should swim out with the water.

sam