tomkaz

Hobe Sound grass flat?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Anyone know of a wadable grass flat in Hobe Sound area? Met a guy in the beach last weekend who mentioned it. Says it is available by boat or on foot from road. Claims reds, trout, etc can all be sight cast there. 

Thoughts? 

On 9/10/2019 at 9:53 AM, tomkaz said:

Anyone know of a wadable grass flat in Hobe Sound area? Met a guy in the beach last weekend who mentioned it. Says it is available by boat or on foot from road. Claims reds, trout, etc can all be sight cast there. 

Thoughts? 

Do you know if it's on the beach side or the Indian River side? Spent some time looking on google maps/ Acme this AM to no avail.

My recollection of Hobe Sound proper is that there really aren't wadable flats ... just flats off the inter-coastal waterway fished from a boat. However off Hutchinson Island (Stewart area) ... on the bayside are flats (Bathtube beach area / park). Also up by the Snook Nook which is Jensen beach area. Yeah you should ask those guys what the wadable areas are.

Sorry, I lost track of this thread and missed the responses. 

GMan, I really do not have more detail than what I posted. The guy did mention beaching the boat and walking the flats but then mentioned parking and walking. 

Kirona, not sure if you are referring to the same spots. At some point I will have to study the maps better and possibly get in touch with this guy. 

On 9/12/2019 at 6:28 AM, gman1253 said:

Do you know if it's on the beach side or the Indian River side? Spent some time looking on google maps/ Acme this AM to no avail.

Tom you met me on jupiter island AM fly casting - and yes you can and I do fish the west side of the ICW in hobe sound - you can wade the shoreline and fish the trough under the mangroves - about a mile or so of wadeable shoreline . Schools of sheepshead, black drum, small snook, redfish, snapper, and ladyfish -bluefish in cooler conditions- this is a better fly fishery with topwater patterns- although light spinning gear with shrimp tipped bonefish jigs work great.  I beach the flats boat on the sandy points and wade shoreline .

Fairly hard bottom but wading shoes a must.  Look for mangroves hanging over troughs and there is quite a bit 

Of old wood and storm debris on bottom. 

Good luck,

Capt. Dave

20190810_125656.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, Dogman63 said:

Tom you met me on jupiter island AM fly casting - and yes you can and I do fish the west side of the ICW in hobe sound - you can wade the shoreline and fish the trough under the mangroves - about a mile or so of wadeable shoreline . Schools of sheepshead, black drum, small snook, redfish, snapper, and ladyfish -bluefish in cooler conditions- this is a better fly fishery with topwater patterns- although light spinning gear with shrimp tipped bonefish jigs work great.  I beach the flats boat on the sandy points and wade shoreline .

Fairly hard bottom but wading shoes a must.  Look for mangroves hanging over troughs and there is quite a bit 

Of old wood and storm debris on bottom. 

Good luck,

Capt. Dave

Dave, 

Welcome to SOL and yes, our conversation is what spurred this post. I was back in Jupiter on Sunday and it was dead. Road my bike and fished from the North jetty north to the rocks, nothing of any consequence. But I did hear it went off on Saturday well after official sunrise. 

As for the glass flats, can they be reached strictly by parking on walking/wading in? When we met you suggested it was possible but I looked on a map and could not easily see where. I don’t want to burn a specific spot and I am happy to explore and learn on my own, as long as I know one does not need a boat or kayak to get there. 

Many thanks. 

Tom

Edited by tomkaz

Tom,

Again the west side of the ICW from

Channel marker 32 North has many grassy areas that are wade friendly.  Getting there by bike might means some exploring but most of this area is a short hike from Rte. 1 . The hobe sound refuge sits atop a nice area to throw flies.  I access this area by skiff but I have seen tell-tale trails down to the sandy shoreline. I have polled the shore and have spooked about all the species mentioned in first post .  And again no tackle-busting  snook but the smaller fish fun on the 6/7 weight fly rods . New and full moon dropping tides right in the (mangroves) bushes.

Might take some initial effort to get it wired but fish are there and stalking these species is a blast. I throw top water cross-eyed peach gurglers for the small snook and mangrove minnows for everything else  .......

20190919_072113.jpg