UPSmanMatt

Rhode Island

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

Beer is our only draw and we screw that up because McLaughlin and Moran are basically the modern day mob with the politicians

Posted (edited) · Report post

2010-present according to wiki

• State Senator James Doyle II (D) from the 8th district, was being investigated for a check kiting scheme to defraud three local banks of more than $74 million. He was charged and pled guilty to 31 counts of bank fraud and tax evasion. (2018)

• State Representative John Carnevale (D) convicted of perjury. 

State Representative Raymond Gallison (D) was convicted of fraud. 

• State Representative Gordon Fox (D) and Speaker of the House, plead guilty to wire fraud, bribery and filing a false tax return. Fox used $108,000 from his campaign account for personal expenses, accepted a $52,000 bribe to push for the issuance of a liquor license for a Providence restaurant in his role as a member of the Board of Licenses, and failed to declare these illegal sources income on his tax returns. 

• State Representative Joseph Almeida (D) was given a $1,000 fine and a year on probation for mis-using funds. 

• State Senator Patrick McDonald (D) convicted of embezzlement. (2014)

• State Representative John McCauley Jr (D) convicted of tax evasion. 

• State Representative Leo Medina (D) convicted of stealing life insurance. 

• State Senator Christopher Maselli (D) convicted of bank fraud. 

Edited by TimS
links

Haha, I love Rhode Island. The characters crack me up. Always a story from every trip.

The guy who keeps his headlamp on - while fishing under a street light.

The guy with the 11 foot surf rod laying across the footpath in the dark.

The Tarzan wannabe walking way out on the wicked long jetty in barefeet.

The fleet of small boats dodging the wind inside the harbor, playing bumper boats and F bombing each other over 1 pound bluefish.

The economy baffles me though. I have visited since I was a kid in the 70s. I fished it hard through the late 80s - early 2000s. Ive seen the money that gets spent in SoCo. I can't figure out why that money don't keep up.

I used to think it was the striper decline that made all the coffee shops, breakfast joints and tackle shops close. Now I realized the whole state is like that.

18 hours ago, z-man said:

I like the unofficial state motto “ I know a guy”

What corporations are left in RI other than Citizens Bank?  Why would any new businesses ever want to move there with the way the state is run?

CVS, Hasbro & Tel.

1 hour ago, mikez2 said:

Haha, I love Rhode Island. The characters crack me up. Always a story from every trip.

The guy who keeps his headlamp on - while fishing under a street light.

The guy with the 11 foot surf rod laying across the footpath in the dark.

The Tarzan wannabe walking way out on the wicked long jetty in barefeet.

The fleet of small boats dodging the wind inside the harbor, playing bumper boats and F bombing each other over 1 pound bluefish.

The economy baffles me though. I have visited since I was a kid in the 70s. I fished it hard through the late 80s - early 2000s. Ive seen the money that gets spent in SoCo. I can't figure out why that money don't keep up.

I used to think it was the striper decline that made all the coffee shops, breakfast joints and tackle shops close. Now I realized the whole state is like that.

There’s two parts of RI. There’s the seacoast and then there’s everywhere else.  It’s the everywhere else that is the problem. 

2 hours ago, z-man said:

There’s two parts of RI. There’s the seacoast and then there’s everywhere else.  It’s the everywhere else that is the problem. 

id say break it down by town.....more towns in RI are (more) conservative, but they get outvoted/ outbred by the dense towns around the capital city.

Portsmouth...Middletown...Barrington....WG...Exeter...Coventry...foster..Glocester…..Burriville...Charleston....Narragansett...NK...N. Smithfield....Richmond...etc......no?

5 hours ago, quack said:

I think hasbro's presence is touch and go at the moment.  

They just moved into their new digs in Providence a couple of years ago. Their offices in Pawtucket were the pits.

4 hours ago, MakoMike said:

They just moved into their new digs in Providence a couple of years ago. Their offices in Pawtucket were the pits.

"PAWTUCKET, R.I. (WPRI) – Hasbro expects to announce a decision in the next three to six months on where it will build its future headquarters, and moving out of Rhode Island remains an option, the toy giant’s chairman and CEO tells WPRI 12."

...that was March or April.