Saltdonkey98

Sandy hook bay kayak fishing

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

What's up guys, I'm new here. I fish the surf about 3x a week all over NJ, but now I'm ready for some new challenges. I have a small cheap kayak, I have taken on the barnaget bay before. It's not much, but it floats, next season I anticipate getting a real boat, but for now, do you think its plausible to take it out and drift baits a little? What would I plan on targeting right now? I'd assume just the regular bluefish and fluke but is there any variety? I'm all about multi species, even if they're only tiny fish. I'm really just looking for bend in the rod, for fun as I do my serious fishing on the surf. Thank you for any help.

Edited by Saltdonkey98

Yes, you can take your kayak out wherever you want. I would advise to check the tides/weather though. Best bet is to work the tides to your advantage (take the tide to your spot) then have the tide or wind bring you back. If your not peddling, don't have a motor or a nicer kayak to paddle it could be trouble. You can paddle against the tide, you can paddle against the wind but you probably won't have any luck paddling against both, check the weather, be safe, have fun.

We're all assuming it's a sit on top kayak

Don't attempt to launch a sin in kayak in the surf

It hurts - trust me 

On 9/11/2019 at 10:01 AM, rocco said:

its also pretty busy on the weekends. i'm not a yakker, but i'd want a pretty stable sled out there on a weekend.

Agree with Rocco.  Conditions are important and knowing the tides more important.  You launch off the hook on any day you have to be careful.  We're on a full mood tide, currents are ripping and with the wind you have to be careful on all the corners.

On the bay side, may be launch near horseshoe cove. That is a good spot to start with the kayak since the currents there are manageable. Don't go anywhere near the rip at the tip of the hook.

If you are looking for multi spicies the Raritan Bay will not disappoint you.  I was fortunate enough to catch the spicies below on 1 trip out in the RB back in August . 

PhotoEditor_20190819_143347646.jpg