Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FishermanTim

EEE threat and fishing question

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

given that there have been only 10 cases in the last ten years in mass (not including 2019), id say the odds are pretty low. just take the usual precautions because it does seem like this year is one of the relatively uncommon outbreak years. 

On 9/9/2019 at 6:27 PM, FishermanTim said:

With the increased threat of EEE in our state, has anyone recalled getting bit while out fishing this year?

"has anyone recalled getting bit this year?"

Lol! Um YEAH! Lol.... I've been bitten hundreds of times this year like I do every year and I'm fine. However... After hearing about all the mosquito caused deaths/diseases lately, I have been much more careful as a precaution. 

I do have a question. Does anyone know exactly WHICH mosquito breed is responsible for the deaths/diseases? Or is it more than one breed of mosquito that's causing all this trouble? 

I have been bitten down in the marsh.  It seems the break out always starts around Lakeville?   There are a lot of horse farms in that area.  

7 hours ago, night owl said:

I do have a question. Does anyone know exactly WHICH mosquito breed is responsible for the deaths/diseases? Or is it more than one breed of mosquito that's causing all this trouble? 

This is an excellent summary: https://www.nemassmosquito.org/surveillance/pages/northeast-district-mosquito-species-list-concern

Received a call from town hall two days ago advising everyone should not go out after 7PM because of the threat of triple E this week and 6:45 PM next week......and so on.

I live in farm land....actually on farmland.  My family's property was originally a dairy farm that my grandfather ran.   

MMMOOOOOOO!!!!!!

5d7bbbdd6837d_GuernseyCow-themooooooovieyoutube2019.jpg.13ca2226dad3e61d018ac11d02009fa1.jpg

1 hour ago, FishermanTim said:

Maybe it would have been easier to list the mosquitos that DON'T transmit WNV and EEE?

Do they know if deer and horse flies transmit these same diseases?

In NH they post which ones have tested positive. Since you don't get a look before you get bit, at least knowing where these guys hang out you can avoid that (to some extent). One of these is called the "cattail mosquito", so if I see those growing I'm not going to be there from July on...

Town or City Date Collected Species Virus Result

Pelham 8/1/2019              Culiseta melanura                           Eastern Equine Encephalitis

Pelham 8/1/2019             Coquillettidia perturbans              Eastern Equine Encephalitis

Pelham 8/1/2019             Coquillettidia perturbans              Eastern Equine Encephalitis

Manchester 8/7/2019    Coquillettidia perturbans              Eastern Equine Encephalitis

Manchester 8/7/2019     Coquillettidia perturbans             Eastern Equine Encephalitis

Manchester 8/21/2019 Culex pipiens/restuans                  West Nile Virus

Candia 8/27/2019            Culiseta melanura                            Eastern Equine Encephalitis

Sandown 8/27/2019       Coquillettidia perturbans              Eastern Equine Encephalitis

Hampstead 8/27/2019   Coquillettidia perturbans              Eastern Equine Encephalitis

Candia 9/3/2019               Culiseta melanura                            Eastern Equine Encephalitis