Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FishermanTim

EEE threat and fishing question

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

With the increased threat of EEE in our state, has anyone recalled getting bit while out fishing this year?

I ask this only because I went out on the Charles River in Dover yesterday, and just before I was back to shore to pull out I got tagged on the back.

Bit through the mesh of my life vest and my shirt.

It is a little scary to hear the number of cases in the region climbing weekly.

I am prepared for some night fishing with long sleeve shirts,a wind breaker, a hat and bug spray for any exposed skin.

I am a magnet for mosquitoes. On some windless mornings I would need a bee keepers suit to avoid being bit.  This EEE situation really sucks. I have been cutting back on fishing and haven’t mountain biked at all because of it. A guy in RI just died today from it.  

10 hours ago, joe0306 said:

I assume the threat will die out as winter approaches? And next season will be safe?

Yes, the threat will die out as it gets colder. I think once we have the first frost all the mosquitos will be dead.  There is no way to tell what next year will bring.  

11 hours ago, joe0306 said:

I assume the threat will die out as winter approaches? And next season will be safe?

Usually they say after the second hard frost things are OK. There seem to be periods of quiet followed by periods of activity, this is from the Mass.gov arbovirus surveillance;

"

Why has there been less EEE activity since 2012?

Historically, EEE outbreaks have rarely occurred during periods lasting more than three years, although evidence suggests that previously observed patterns may be changing and the situation must be monitored carefully. Intense EEE activity consistent with outbreaks occurred in 2004-2006 and 2010-2012. Outbreaks are probably supported, in part, by previously unexposed populations of birds that are susceptible to EEE virus infection, and therefore capable of maintaining the cycle of virus transmission. Current research also suggests that each of these cycles is associated with the introduction of a new strain of EEE virus by migratory birds. After three years (2010-2012) of intense virus activity, the population of susceptible birds may not have been adequate to maintain the virus cycle in more recent years. Important factors also impacting EEE virus cycles include large Cs. melanura mosquito populations which are more likely to support significant EEE activity, and weather conditions, such as significant precipitation events and prolonged periods of high temperature. In 2012, significant precipitation and prolonged periods of high temperatures provided favorable conditions for mosquito development." The spike this year looks like 2012. I'm in NH, but like others here I'm not going out at night, not mountain biking, etc. Just not worth the risk to me... Here's the link to the state site, lots of good info on it;

https://www.mass.gov/lists/arbovirus-surveillance-plan-and-historical-data

I am mosquito resistant to some extent compared to some people but they do bite me.

I'm outside all the time. Even at work, which is 2nd shift. I take my morning coffee on the porch. Anything I do for fun is outdoors.

I hate bug spray and only use it for extreme cases like saltmarshes. My old way was to ignore them and take a few bites.

Not this year. Too scary, especially with the kids. I been pulling them inside early and avoiding the more buggier spots. I think twice where and when I go. I don't sit out on the porch at night and where long sleeves and a hood when I have my coffee in the morning. 

Wear bug spray.  No need to go crazy just lather up and maybe freshwater isn't the best idea. There are no mosquitos by the salt this time of year. It's too cold

7 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

You are joking, right?

:squid:

There haven't been in the middle of thr night when ive been fishing on the cape

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

Is eee factor in the south? I only hear about it in NE, but never south of that.

There are also cases in the southern states. Florida had 13 cases between 2009-2018 compared to 10 in Mass. Georgia had 6 and NC 7 in the same time span. 

https://www.cdc.gov/easternequineencephalitis/tech/epi.html#

Edited by bdowning

4 hours ago, aglenn said:

There haven't been in the middle of thr night when ive been fishing on the cape

That is fine, but don't g spreading false info, I have seen skeeters when it was 38 or less degrees out. This issue will continue until there are at least TWO HARD frosts, hard meaning about 28 or less. Even then, if it would to warm up after, there still could be some around well into December.