LGFishing

Info on Daiwa BG

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

28 mins ago, ACFishing said:

It's one of the best reels for the money and holds up to most fishing applications that come your way.

What he said....Keep it clean and rinse off after use in and your golden. Very satisfied with mine

Edited by kooch

I picked up a 3000BG to replace my 3 year old ssv3500 on a 7' MH mojo inshore a few weeks back. Haven't caught much other than some snapper blues on it and a few short flounder, but so far so good. Didn't think a few oz's would make a big difference in rod weight, but the BG made the setup feel slightly lighter. 

I got a 4500bg not really knowinf how big it is. Daiwa sells their reels one size up so a 2000 daiwa is like a 3000 shimano/penn

My 4500 weighs just about the same as my 8000 Saragosa. So they’re a bit on the heavier side from 4500+

The frame of the bg also feels very rugged. 

Ill be picking up a 2500 soon to replace my penn fierce 2 for an all around inshore reel 

I personally love the drag, and the solid feel despite being inexpensive. I find myself reaching for my BG in places where I might hook into a big fish, but am targeting smaller finesse fish.

My BG4000 on my lunch break today:

D6660BB0-3C13-4DEE-9556-A1C094042CAC.jpeg

41 mins ago, Sir Defyable said:

I personally love the drag, and the solid feel despite being inexpensive. I find myself reaching for my BG in places where I might hook into a big fish, but am targeting smaller finesse fish.

My BG4000 on my lunch break today:

D6660BB0-3C13-4DEE-9556-A1C094042CAC.jpeg

What length rod do you have your 4000 on and where did you get that knob for it?

13 mins ago, kooch said:

What length rod do you have your 4000 on and where did you get that knob for it?

8'6" rod good for 1ish oz lures, especially with lighter line.

That's just a gomexus knob, the biggest one too it's like a doorknob. You do need to drill it out, and I highly recommend loctite and epoxy over the screw. I sand down the rough edges to round/smooth and put a glob of epoxy over it. Sand and polish it to finish. I still haven't gotten around to painting it black

8D0ED812-3374-488B-9490-FCD89CDDB882.jpeg

I have the 4000 and the 5000. They do okay if you keep them away from sand, salt water and big fish(4000 got geary after landing a 30# striper in a current.) Also palming the spool to break off a snag should be avoided because the main shaft isn't super tough. The drag is nice, but I upgraded to Slammers, Torques, etc...the BGs are loaners now or boat reels.

Not a 1st choice for surf and jetty fishing. I think $40-$50 more puts you in a much better class of reel if that's what you're looking to do with it. Be prepared to maintain the reel after every use.

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, Sir Defyable said:

8'6" rod good for 1ish oz lures, especially with lighter line.

That's just a gomexus knob, the biggest one too it's like a doorknob. You do need to drill it out, and I highly recommend loctite and epoxy over the screw. I sand down the rough edges to round/smooth and put a glob of epoxy over it. Sand and polish it to finish. I still haven't gotten around to painting it black

8D0ED812-3374-488B-9490-FCD89CDDB882.jpeg

Does your knot have play in it? I got about 3/8in of play that i can move the knob left and right. Actually more 1/4’ play

Edited by kombi_rs

1 hour ago, kombi_rs said:

Does your knot have play in it? I got about 3/8in of play that i can move the knob left and right. Actually more 1/4’ play

Actually no, not even the slightest. You can feel the teeth of the gears interacting but no knob play. These knobs have great bearings too, spins forever and feels light when reeling

28 mins ago, Sir Defyable said:

Actually no, not even the slightest. You can feel the teeth of the gears interacting but no knob play. These knobs have great bearings too, spins forever and feels light when reeling

Hm ok i just added a third ball bearing, i thought it was a backup but now it has a pulse in it when free spin not when im manually cranking on the reel, not sure how you have it setup but i only used the 3 BB and not any of the washers bc i wasn’t sure where to put em lol