Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mountain fisher

Mitchell 302 question

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I have an older 1960's version of the 302 that I'd like to start fishing again. The mechanism is smooth with minimal gear noise but it is harder to crank -stiffer- than seems quite right. I have cleaned and relubed the mechanism but no change. No change when reeling in either direction. Is there an adjustment that I can try or maybe I've overlooked something basic? 

I just cleaned from the other side. After watching a clean on U-tube last night I see that I probably did not do as thorough a job as I thought. Will remove and disassemble the handle side, probably some old stiff grease on the parts. I will post the results.

2 hours ago, Mountain fisher said:

I just cleaned from the other side. After watching a clean on U-tube last night I see that I probably did not do as thorough a job as I thought. Will remove and disassemble the handle side, probably some old stiff grease on the parts. I will post the results.

Turn the clicker off while disassembly and during assembly.Lift the side off easy so you can see spring and clicker orientation.

17 hours ago, mitchell master said:

Turn the clicker off while disassembly and during assembly.Lift the side off easy so you can see spring and clicker orientation.

Wish I had seen this yesterday. Having some difficulty replacing these 2 parts. Also, how do you remove the bell housing (?) from the frame so the shaft can be removed?

2 hours ago, Mountain fisher said:

Wish I had seen this yesterday. Having some difficulty replacing these 2 parts. Also, how do you remove the bell housing (?) from the frame so the shaft can be removed?

Are talking about the rotor cup ? take the nut off and pull but be careful because there is a small key that sits in a hole on the pinion tube so don't loose it.Once that's off undo the back of the pinion shaft from the slide you then have to push the pinion tube into the reel and pull it and the shaft out of the frame.Also there may be a small brass shim on one side of the slide.Don't loose it either.