dannyplug1

Learning to throw a cast net

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

23 mins ago, Cpalms said:

Agreed, anything under 8' is a toy and generally a waste of time/ money.

8' feels like a small net to me. I was throwing my buddies bait net that was an 8' and it felt half the size of my 12'. But I see guys getting scaled sardines with a 4' granted its 5-10 at a time...

33 mins ago, Badtothebugs said:

8' feels like a small net to me. I was throwing my buddies bait net that was an 8' and it felt half the size of my 12'. But I see guys getting scaled sardines with a 4' granted its 5-10 at a time...

That's because an 8' net (16 foot diameter) is 201 square feet.  A 12' net (24' diameter) is 452 square feet.   12 footer is big. My problem with big nets is they wear you out so quickly.  Lotta work throwing a big net - don't miss!

7 hours ago, dannyplug1 said:

Any one out there have experience throwning a cast net?  It looks very difficult would you recommend any videos? or books.  thanks charlie

Jumping in to follow this, great question. If I throw one 10 times, it only works about 3. 

40 mins ago, Cpalms said:

That's because an 8' net (16 foot diameter) is 201 square feet.  A 12' net (24' diameter) is 452 square feet.   12 footer is big. My problem with big nets is they wear you out so quickly.  Lotta work throwing a big net - don't miss!

I thought the math worked out something like that, luckily im still young so I can handle it for now, I'll get back to you in 20 years after my back is dead 

An 8’er is a good size & not as big as it sounds.  Especially if you don’t have perfect technique & the net doesn’t open to a full circle (like me ;-).  This size is also relatively easy to throw. 

Cast nets are like fishing rods. You have different designs for different purposes, and different throwing styles for each. 

Nets vary in diameter, mesh size and weight. Which you choose will depend on your situation. A 12' net with a large mesh size and 1.25 pounds per foot of circumference will sink much faster than a smaller net with less weight and a smaller mesh. It makes sense that guys who are throwing over 70 feet of water for bait that is suspended would prefer a larger net. The same net is useless tossing around oyster laden bridge pilings. Then a 4 or 5 footer that you can throw quickly and accurately and abort if you make a mistake is superior. 

How do you learn how to throw a net?

1) determine what net you need

2) check the regulations to make sure it is legal. 

3) choose and learn a technique that is appropriate for that net. 

I have mostly used smaller nets for my conditions, so I have always used the teeth method. I know it sounds bad, but I love the salty grainy texture that accumulates in my mouth while throwing. When I have to reach for a beer to clear it up, I know I am living the life. 

On 9/9/2019 at 10:27 AM, Mr. Bigdeal said:

Been throwin' for years........simplest method I've found yet...it works great and I use it.

I  found this to be the simplest way to throw my 8' net. No getting soaked or putting the net in your mouth. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've been throwing for decades, 3 years ago i changed my style and my consistency of fully opened throws has skyrocketed

For small nets 6' radius (12 diameter) and smaller I've been using the Darsizzle method

(Big nets are a totally different game, I still can't throw my really big one worth a damn)

It looks complicated in the video but it's really not, it's actually a faster setup then most other methods, you can get a throw off pretty quickly

I've no idea what the rocking thing she does is about, not necessary 

Enjoy !!

Edited by Sudsy

OP what are you trying to net?

Adult Bunker? Silversides? Peanuts?

If you're looking to net the former a 10-12' net with 1-1 1/8" mesh is what you want with at least 1.5 lbs of lead per square foot. Obviously your choice will need to be scaled down depending on your targeted bait size. I prefer to use the "triple load" method when throwing a big net, I'm not sure if it was covered in the videos above but it is extremely easy to learn.

9 hours ago, Sudsy said:

I've been throwing for decades, 3 years ago i changed my style and my consistency of fully opened throws has skyrocketed

For small nets 6' radius (12 diameter) and smaller I've been using the Darsizzle method

(Big nets are a totally different game, I still can't throw my really big one worth a damn)

It looks complicated in the video but it's really not, it's actually a faster setup then most other methods, you can get a throw off pretty quickly

I've no idea what the rocking thing she does is about, not necessary 

Enjoy !!

If find that one a little complicated. The method on the Calusa website is a bit more simple and right handed.

Point is they all work.  Takes about 10 practice throws to be proficient and 50 to decent.  It's not hard. I learned throwing into my mom's pool. 

I have a Tim Wade net like her, best nets hands down and not nearly the most expensive.

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

You just like lookin' at the ................

I do have to admit that's the reason I watched the video the first time :laugh:

The technique really works though

And like I said, if you have to get a throw off fast, it's a quick setup