dannyplug1

Learning to throw a cast net

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

I recommend a 3.5 foot cast net to start with. It can also easily be thrown from a kayak.

37 mins ago, dannyplug1 said:

Any one out there have experience throwing a cast net?  It looks very difficult would you recommend any videos? or books.  thanks charlie

Im gonna go against the grain and say dont start any smaller than an 8'. Loading a small net is nothing like loading a bigger net. Its all about physics not about trying to huck it out there. I learned with a 12' no problem. I use a similar load to this guy.

1 hour ago, Badtothebugs said:

Im gonna go against the grain and say dont start any smaller than an 8'. Loading a small net is nothing like loading a bigger net. Its all about physics not about trying to huck it out there. I learned with a 12' no problem. I use a similar load to this guy.

i agree with this guy and with a big net you can still get stuff if you have bad aim or form.

58 mins ago, crazybellringer said:

i agree with this guy and with a big net you can still get stuff if you have bad aim or form.

Great if you are throwing from a boat or in open water - but I'll stick with my 8' for tidal creeks and such. I'd rather throw twice than get hung up once. 

I guess it depend what/where and how you are fishing. What happens if you throw an 8 foot net over a thick school of peanuts? I would think it would be to heavy to lift or get hung up on something trying to pull it up. I can see using a big net from a boat but 8 foot would be too much for a small tidal creek or from a kayak.

If you’re trying to net live peanut bunker, and then fish them live, you are better off using a 4-6 foot net or so. 

At least around S Jersey this time of year, you can easily find a school that’s large and packed tight. If you throw an 8’-11’ net in there, you’ll net hundreds of fish. Too many and lots will die. Even if you’re throwing a bunch back, that’s unnecessary stress & may kill a bunch. 

Bigger net would be great for sparse baitfish conditions. 

With castnets theres 2 different main styles of throwing techniques... over the shoulder and from the side. Go with a 6 footer. This is somewhat of an inbetween and will allow you to throw it both ways so you can find what works best for you. Also depends where youre throwing. Go with smaller if theres a chance of getring snagged on rocks or other obstacles.

24 mins ago, hhager23 said:

Great if you are throwing from a boat or in open water - but I'll stick with my 8' for tidal creeks and such. I'd rather throw twice than get hung up once. 

Agreed, anything under 8' is a toy and generally a waste of time/ money.