Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hawkwind

Glass rod search

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hello folks, would you guys recommed me a glass rod for light beach spinning - mostly metal, max up to 1 1/2" oz, with a sweetspot around 1 oz.  For belonne and seatrout, or species like asp.  Our last trip I had very many fish to fall off , I think this is all due to my graphite rod being too stiff. Alternative would be to go from braid to mono, to get me some stretch, but that kills the casting distance and sensitivity.  I would also very much like to have glass kayak rod, but I cant seem to find them. A company not shy to send to europe would be preferable. Thanks

Edited by hawkwind

I agree that's a nice blank. I built a spinner on it about 15 yrs ago but rarely use as I opt for a SMB 96 3m I built prior to the aforementioned rod for most of my surf fishing. I find the MB is a bit on the heavy side but its a fun rod to catch fish on. I think he is looking for a factory built rod. Do they build a rod on that blank? I know they build a steelhead rod that's glass no 9' footers though. Take a look at the Lami site.

I have friend who builds rods, if I have a blank I could work from that.  There is plenty of 9´ in that throwing weight, european made, for very little money, but they make all the rods fast-ultrafast these days.  I need something which would load sweet for throwing and which would bend nicely with fish.  This with something like daiwa balistic LT reel  with big spool wil throw metal to the horizont, but without the "hard jerk".  A friend of mine lent me beastmaster 9´ up to about 45 gr, definitelly too heavy club and that was almost painfull to use.

You might want to call Lami and maybe they can advise you as to how to go about obtaining that blank in your current location. If you could locate a local retailer and feel the blank that would be ideal. As I said, it gets tiring casting that rod for hours on end. Unfortunately they no longer make the S glass blanks. Keep us posted.