ThrowinPlugs

Ever creep yourself out in "Your" Spot?

Rate this topic

70 posts in this topic

1 min ago, chitala383 said:

It's the walk from the last parking lot in sandy hook to the tip. It's just shy of a mile, I think, of unclear trail and overgrowth. There's some ghost stories about that area.

A mile alone in the dark can do crazy things to the mind, I love learning about NE surfcasting culture thanks for the info.

Had to climb over a freight car on a parked train to get to spot. When I hopped down, a large all white coywolf ran up to within 20 ft of me. We both stared at each other for a couple seconds (i was fascinated, the thing was beautiful). Then the canid started moving side to side, and bowing its head down, bouncing around similar to how I've seen domestic dogs try to initiate play (like fetch or tug-of-war). When I came to my senses, I figured I should show dominance, so I stepped forward and yelled very loud. The animal turned and ran, at least 150 yards, never slowed down, disappeared into the darkness.

I've been back 20-30 times, have never seen any sort of dog tracks....see all sorts of animals, but no dogs, 'yotes, foxes.

One night, under a bridge, I felt like I was being watched, and know I heard weird noises. But there was a steady bite of schoolies and a couple +28". I startled when (what I presume was) a crackhead/junkie came out of the woods. "What's going on?" He asked me. "Oh, not much. How are you this evening?" I replied. To which he said: "No, no, NO!," pointed to the river where micros were busting on small bait. "I mean what's going on?" When I told him small stripers were feeding on little minnows, he nodded understanding, said "Aw ite then" walked back in the woods, and resumed his beauty sleep.

7 hours ago, chitala383 said:

It's the walk from the last parking lot in sandy hook to the tip. It's just shy of a mile, I think, of unclear trail and overgrowth. There's some ghost stories about that area.

Death march becuase its mostly really soft sand

8 hours ago, chitala383 said:

This. 

I'm not sure about the trail, but from that lot out to the front by the bathrooms, then out is indeed a mission, at night solo would be a different level, and if trail is worse, that's gotta be rough.  Interested to hear some stories, I think :)

Posted (edited) · Report post

If you add thick fog, I mean "pea soup" thick to any of these stories and then imagine how the "creeped-out" factor jumps exponentially!

Edited by FishermanTim

One summer I was fishing a fresh water lake at sundown.  I was on a small pint of land that jutted out into the lake.  Trying to squeeze the last few casts out before nightfall.  All of a sudden a tremendous crash behind me followed by flying water.  I turned to see a beaver swimming away.  It has done a tail slap about 5 feet behind me.

1 hour ago, FishermanTim said:

If you add thick fog, I mean "pea soup" thick to any of these stories and then imagine how the "creeped-out" factor jumps exponentially!

This happened to me on a NS beach once. So thick all you could see was grey 5 ft in front of you with a super bright head lamp. The fa t I couldn't see the waves coming in (albeit small) freaked me out enough to leave lol. Uneasy feelings must be heeded.

42 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

This happened to me on a NS beach once. So thick all you could see was grey 5 ft in front of you with a super bright head lamp. The fa t I couldn't see the waves coming in (albeit small) freaked me out enough to leave lol. Uneasy feelings must be heeded.

I remember getting stranded out on Demo when you could drive all the way out to the point.  Dense fog rolled in and you couldn't see ****,  I tried to drive maybe a hundred feet and bugged out. You could hear the ocean crashing, but you couldn't see it and there were a bunch of drains  you had to negotiate to get off the bar.   Day broke enough to burn some off and we all got off, it was still thick as f. Once you got over the bridge it was gone.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Was standing on a rock --pushed way out on a bar this summer, when I was startled/scared to death.  Sky lit up all of a sudden like it was day time.....then a giant fireball went flying through the air right over my head.  Turned out my buddy and I were right in the path of a meteor.  The moment it got dark again...we both hooked up.  One of the coolest natural phenomenons I have ever been lucky enough to witness.

https://bgr.com/2019/07/26/east-coast-meteor-fireball-asteroid/

Edited by jesgord

2 hours ago, Steve_in_PA said:

One summer I was fishing a fresh water lake at sundown.  I was on a small pint of land that jutted out into the lake.  Trying to squeeze the last few casts out before nightfall.  All of a sudden a tremendous crash behind me followed by flying water.  I turned to see a beaver swimming away.  It has done a tail slap about 5 feet behind me.

That reminds me of another story, not scary just funny...

Fished a pond in Wayland, MA at night a few years back.

Was out on my kayak, dressed for bugs and prepared for night fishing.

Heard loud splash, and knowing this pond did hold some large fish, I presumed it was one of them breaching after one of the many sunfish/perch/crappie in this pond.

Worked my way over to where I heard the splash and a little while later heard another splash back over where I had come from. So.....I worked my way back to that area. The conditions were great, full moon with no wind so I could see any surface motion from waves and ripples. I noticed what looked like the wake of a dorsal fin moving away from where I had heard the last splash, and used my spotlight to see if I could spot the fish causing it.

Instead I saw the huge brown head of a mother beaver. When she spotted me she "tail-slapped" and took off.

I sat there laughing my arse off at that one.

I didn't know that there was a resident family of beavers there.

Now if I go there late day/early evening, I look for them to make their presence known, which they do every time.

30 mins ago, FishermanTim said:

That reminds me of another story, not scary just funny...

Fished a pond in Wayland, MA at night a few years back.

Was out on my kayak, dressed for bugs and prepared for night fishing.

Heard loud splash, and knowing this pond did hold some large fish, I presumed it was one of them breaching after one of the many sunfish/perch/crappie in this pond.

Worked my way over to where I heard the splash and a little while later heard another splash back over where I had come from. So.....I worked my way back to that area. The conditions were great, full moon with no wind so I could see any surface motion from waves and ripples. I noticed what looked like the wake of a dorsal fin moving away from where I had heard the last splash, and used my spotlight to see if I could spot the fish causing it.

Instead I saw the huge brown head of a mother beaver. When she spotted me she "tail-slapped" and took off.

I sat there laughing my arse off at that one.

I didn't know that there was a resident family of beavers there.

Now if I go there late day/early evening, I look for them to make their presence known, which they do every time.

In my case it startled me but remains one of my great experiences in the outdoors.  And seeing beaver in SE PA is a sign of much environmental improvement in the area.

The number of times that some animal would try to approach my kayak while I'm fishing is funny.

I've had beavers, muskrats, deer, herons and snapping turtles check out the kayak.

No bad experiences, just funny experiences with nature...

Had a giant sea crab creature the size of a small dog emerge out of the surf to my rt and come straight at me fast one very dark nite. Started back pedalling quick.  Nearly stained my shorts.

It was a plastic bag blowing in the wind...

23 hours ago, The Salty Fisherman said:

Wow, not many people who can tell that story

I was fishing in the Thames River CT years ago. We were riding up river and saw the police boat pulling up to a dead seal washed up on shore. We drove over a little closer and noticed the seal was wearing pants. It was a dead homeless person.