ThrowinPlugs

Ever creep yourself out in "Your" Spot?

Rate this topic

70 posts in this topic

14 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Would've s*** my pants, no lie. Lmao

Pretty close to it. I've had my share of otters playing around at night, you can usually hear them talking to each other when they are around. This thing took it to the next level. Don't see many of them either, probably 4 over the last 10 years total. 

Remember going in the woods deer hunting long ago, and had been in there hanging a tree stand few days before. Well, the day came to hunt, and in pitch dark, I start the walk to my stand and after walking probably an hour I came right back where I started...complete circle. As it was getting light, walked right to my stand. Never forget that.

1 hour ago, FunkyBunker said:

Bunch of years back thought i was just getting creeped out. I was living on the back bays and fishing off the dock one night in the fall about 10 pm. Dead silent for about 30 mins. Heard this strange wooshing sound that made my hair stand on end. Looked around because i knew it wasn't the floating dock making noises, and couldn't stop looking at the surface of the water for some reason. Just felt like something was there. Turn my head back towards the channel when out of nowhere a ****ing seal comes flying out of the water and jumps on the dock next to me. Heart just about jumped out of my chest and probably the seals too because he saw me and jumped right back in. Wasn't a small one either, probably over 100 lbs. 

27 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Would've s*** my pants, no lie. Lmao

Was 100+ yards out on a shallow beach years ago, probably just over my waist deep. Flat calm, no wind, probably an hour before sunrise. Just enough light to be able to see a spook working. Seal pops up about 25' away, we both startle each other and it snorts and explodes in the water away from me. Not sure who scared who more, but I know that's the closest I've ever been to ****ing myself. Needless to say I made my way onto the sand pretty quickly. 

It was hunting season and we had little time to do maintenance that year.  Decided to hang a stand at night so we could hunt the next morning.  I am out there with my young nephew who is on the top of the stand tightening up the last of the ratchet straps when we hear a pack of coyotes going nuts in the woods around us.  Needless to say I quickly ran up the stand behind him and hung on the ladder till he was done then we hightailed without of there.  

I get more and more spooked walking out to my stand during bow season.  Lots of coyotes all over howling away as your walking in the dark.  A bit unnerving.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Bow hunting season certainly counts too. The way out of my main spot is a literal straight shot down a well worn path. You can clearly see the entrance. Many times walking out I've seen something run across (obviously a deer) but that gets your heart pumping in the dark.

Edited by ThrowinPlugs

Twice I heard bagpipes playing on foggy nights. Places I fished repeatedly, but only on two foggy nights.

I've been spooked so bad at Sandy Hook I ran to my car best I could with my waders on like a little wimp.

Then thee was the night on a jetty when an old lady came out there with her suitcase and stood so close to me I had to move so I didn't hook her while casting. She was acting weird and talking to herself, then started yelling t me that I was too close to her. I left and told the cops, worried she was about to drown herself.

10 hours ago, Pierce said:

Walk away when you felt something is "not right".  There always another day for fishing, don't take the risk.

Yes there have been a few times. I fish remote mountain streams in the Great Smokies where I live and the local fauna includes bears, mountain lion, Russian razor backs, and weirdos. Sometimes you don't know what is bothering you but I have learned to listen to that little voice. I also carry a .45, mostly for the weirdos.

Busy driving the boat while chasing Albies and nearly run over a “floater” (dead body). Kind of spoiled the day. 

Let's see....fishing a local bridge late at night, no one around, no car traffic, and the only sound was a distant fog horn and breaking fish. Hairs on the neck stand up, I step away from the railing and flash my light on the bridge to see a coyote trotting away.

I've had them do that a few times. No trouble, just "that feeling" that something is behind you.

Fished the canal a few years back, week before Halloween, and with the light/moderate breeze blowing from the west I noticed a peculiar fog bank ( shaped like a "person" traveling against the breeze (towards me). Packed up and left before it reached my spot.

Back in the 80's, fishing Jamaica Pond in Boston, came across a floater while trolling (rowing).

Witnesses on the dock where I launched from said I rowed back as if I had a motor on the boat, and rowed the boat ONTO the dock. (seems an elderly man had falled and knocked himself out as he fell into the pond.)

10 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

A large bear was spotted several times in an area very close to a spot I fish a lot. Local news reports indicated and showed the bear crawling around near the woods and shoreline right next to one of my favorite spots the day before the new moon this past June. Of course I went fishing that night but looked around and in back of me with every step. Btw, the walk to the spot is about a mile long and winds through a wooded area right where the bear was seen. Very un-nerving after dark. I briefly thought about packing my Smith and Wesson in my plug bag. Lol

better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I am always armed.

HH

Many years ago, a family friend was surfing and got the creeps really badly. She described it as an increasingly intensifying urgency to leave the water as soon as possible. About 20 minutes after she had left the water, there was a commotion on the shoreline with emergency personnel and she found out a swimmer had been bitten by a shark.  

I'm cautious enough when the spot or weather warrants it, but I don't generally spook very easily...

Few weeks ago ran into some old school, super salty, surf fishermen who had seen a thing or three, and lost a few fingers in the process...Listened to them tell stories about 'close calls' for a few hours, and my nerves were TRASHED....Doesn't take too many rogue wave, lobster pot bear trap, longline cable noose, rip tide, shoulda known better, stories to make you second guess why you swim to slippery rocks in the middle of the night to fish.

Needless to say, I was an emotional wreck when I headed out into the dark that night.

Caught like 25 fish, drank a beer before sunrise, and went to bed remembering that life's a trip, and all we can do is enjoy the ride. 

Fish smart, take the appropriate precautions, and be prepared, but always remember that the boogie man is only in your head....most of the time.