saltygator

What rod would you guys pair with a 1000 size reel?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have a 1000 shimano paired with a 6'3 st. croix legend (MXF). I use it for Bass and Walleye but handles large pike as well with no problem. I will also use it on a 6'6 ML avid I have for drop shotting and trout. I wouldn't use it on anything bigger because will feel a bit awkward and unbalanced.

Edited by cec127

20190214_154329.jpg.41252d2a7d373b8a73536e98f7587ea0.jpg

1000 size ballistic LT spooled with #10 j-braid grand... paired with the 6'2 black hole tai special..

It's my most versatile rod hands down.. I use it all winter for trout and panfish..  fw bass and pickerel in the spring and summer..

In the SW it's used all summer long on Fluke, seabass and triggers from the boat. Even put a few albies on it... solid combo.  Awesome reel and rod. 

16 hours ago, Beachglass Guru said:

20190214_154329.jpg.41252d2a7d373b8a73536e98f7587ea0.jpg

1000 size ballistic LT spooled with #10 j-braid grand... paired with the 6'2 black hole tai special..

It's my most versatile rod hands down.. I use it all winter for trout and panfish..  fw bass and pickerel in the spring and summer..

kker In the SW it's used all summer long on Fluke, seabass and triggers from the boat. Even put a few albies on it... solid combo.  Awesome reel and rod. 

That looks like a killer setup for sure. 

I would pair it with a nice UL travel rod for fresh water. It's nice to have a setup like this for travel or camping for occasional use. If you take care of the reel and rod it can last nearly forever.  I would not use it in the SW more due to it's size than anything else.