saltygator

What rod would you guys pair with a 1000 size reel?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Recently got the new Stradic as a gift and I want to use it as a light freshwater/inshore saltwater set up. I’ve never owned a 1000 size reel before so I’m clueless about what rods I can pair with it. Pretty much only ones I’ve tried are a 4-10lb Star Seagis and 6-12lb Gloomis E6x. 

What rods do you guys like for light spinning reels? 

This thread could go 6 different directions.  

A 1000 shimano reel is pretty small, so we are looking at not huge casting distances.

7' M or ML  StCroix triumph and you are all set for one sweet surf fluke/kingfish/snapper setup.  

St croix premier 6’6 or 7ft ML 6-12lb is perfect with 8lb JBraid you should be able to get 125 yds on there. I am also a fan of the TFO inshore Rods the new ones the 702 would be a nice fit 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Have a Shimano Sedona 1000 paired with a St Croix Avid AVS66LF2 1/16 -1/4 Ounce

Edited by D_L

23 hours ago, saltygator said:

Recently got the new Stradic as a gift and I want to use it as a light freshwater/inshore saltwater set up. I’ve never owned a 1000 size reel before so I’m clueless about what rods I can pair with it. Pretty much only ones I’ve tried are a 4-10lb Star Seagis and 6-12lb Gloomis E6x. 

What rods do you guys like for light spinning reels? 

Do not look further

Star Seagis is a great match for that reel.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I do not know your budget, but I will be honest, I've had my eye on the Shakespeare Micro Series 7' Light for a small reel like that. It seems like a decent rod. For 17 bucks that is. Throws up to 3/8 oz. 

Nevermind, misread your post. I would definitely choose a St. Croix or Star for me. 

Edited by coastalfreak

1 hour ago, Popasilov said:

Do not look further

Star Seagis is a great match for that reel.

I really wanted my first star rod but I had a gift card and coupon for a store that didn’t have the 4-10. So I went with St Croix Avid X 7’ 4-10lb.

Hopefully it works out. I really liked my St Croix rods in the past but I bought them early on before I knew what I wanted in a rod so they didn’t exactly fit my needs. I think this will serve me better 

I had a ci4 1000 on a clarus medium light. I use that rod for bass and trout but also landed 20-22inch stripers on that rod also! Lots of fun 

I have a 1000hgfk  one paired with 7’ ultra light tfo trout/panfish rod I use mine for freshwater super sweet combo but I think I might pick up a shimano slx 6’ for jigging blackfish in the bay. Both rods are under a $100.00

If your using light lines n lures always go with 6’6” or longer UL or light power rod ! Light lures need a softer taper to load and cast properly ,the lure is to light on occasion  bu itself to fully load rod  .

I also prefer a softer mono with light tackle , on small spool will not take a set