kooch

Penn Conflict 2 Any opinions?

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Any opinions on Penn Conflict 2 reels? I know the Slammers and Spinfishers get alot of love but dont hear much about the Conflicts. 

They appear very similar to the Clash line have 7+1 bearings and are pretty light for the amount of line they hold. Maybe the surf is

not the place for a resin bodied reel?

I have a conflict 2 3000 on one of my bay rods, I think it's a good lightweight reel. That being said, for the surf, I'd still opt for a new spinfisher or slammer because they have sealing to help prevent water intrusion.

The three screws on the handle are prone to falling out if you are a boater apparently. It's a real pain trying to handline a fish when that handle falls off into the drink. 

Edited by redfish12

I have two 4000’s which I paired  with light rods for bass, blues, and funny fish. They’re pretty good reels for the money, but the foot flexes a bit when under great strain, which feels a little weird. They’re also not very smooth when compared to my Stradics, but I can live with that. Great drag, plus they’re light and compact. 

1 hour ago, Kapfish said:

I have a conflict 2 3000 on one of my bay rods, I think it's a good lightweight reel. That being said, for the surf, I'd still opt for a new spinfisher or slammer because they have sealing to help prevent water intrusion.

I agree.

I use a conflict II for days when I know I'm throwing casts for several hours straight. The light reel with light rod combo is great to prevent sore shoulders and arms and keep you fishing longer. Caught about 20 bluefish today while surfcasting with one. (See pic) Throwing an XR10 to blitzes but finding no bones...

I use a 2500 with 8lb braid, and find it has to be underspooled like other penns. The drag is fantastic for most fish, and can tolerate some non-cow sized bass, but I agree it's not for the big girls out there. Still finds its way into my trunk and onto a rod almost every weekend, very few issues even with some decent water splashing. 

D948CAC2-8066-4BF1-ACBD-D19FC6813089.jpeg

DF92ED41-69CF-4561-A413-39FB0816A028.jpeg

And for those curious about water getting in, with normal use and regular rinses, the innards are "moist" at best. No immulsion in the grease, no water in the gearing or pooled anywhere. Under the spool is a bit gunky, but no corrosion or penetration of the ar clutch.

Best thing is, that gear is niiiice. Say what you want about the sturdiness of the body, those gears won't fail you. Can't say that about a tsunami shield, which I've fished a lot and found that at that price range or in this size, sealing isnt the only reason a reel can fail, and if you don't mind opening the hood for a peek now and again it's a great reel to carry.

39A2B363-B091-4CCA-AF59-FBA4DD925628.jpeg

621BFDA3-AD74-4426-B0CD-F81062843E93.jpeg

FDFE3530-1FC2-4E20-A593-39645FAAE581.jpeg

5023B576-5F48-4268-BDB6-12AAEB390E27.jpeg

I got a 2000 during a mega sale last winter and really wish I got more.... all the post are spot on about the reel...so light its perfect for speck trout fishing ......

4 hours ago, redfish12 said:

The three screws on the handle are prone to falling out if you are a boater apparently. It's a real pain trying to handline a fish with that handle falls off into the drink. 

I did see that the handle is a little wonky. I guess they were trying to trim off some weight. I wonder if the slammer handle would fit.

Edited by kooch

12 hours ago, kooch said:

Mostly positive reviews but no one recommend using this for surf applications. Guess I should move on to something else

I did say I use it for surfcasting with no issues but I wouldn't dunk it all day long. Same with the spinfisher I would not dunk it on purpose. You will get a better gear in the CFII than the spinfisher, but less seals. Biggest advantage to me is the weight

Have conflict 4000 and a conflict II 4000. They have disappointed me. After a year and a half the original conflict jammed and I had to replace the gears. I had caught several huge blues and some nice bass, it should have held up. I had the gears replaced and bought the conflict II hoping it was improved.  The II lasted 1 year and it jammed and had to have the gears replaced. While fighting larger blues I agree with Seadog that the reel flexes. I have never had to replace gears on a quality reel before. I bought 4 Penn greenies new back when. Two still see service for bait fishing and have their original gears. I would say that with the new gears the reels are smooth. I’m looking at replacing the conflicts  with reels that are durable. I have plenty of old skirted spool Penns that are light and durable. I do want to see how the Tsunami salt-x in the smaller size works. 

Edited by tristate
Speeding

I have an original Conflict 5000 that I use for surfcasting and its lighter weight makes it my favorite. I've caught fish in the 30lb range on it with no issues at all. I bought it about 6 years ago and during the 2nd year it got dropped into the water......more than once. Tried rinsing it off and drying it out but it seized up soon after. I packed it up and sent it off to the Penn Service Center in Philly. A few weeks later I received a package from Penn and was surprised to find they had replaced the reel with a brand spanking new one......at no charge! Now that is a company that stands behind its product! I put together a new rig to go Steelhead fishing in Erie this fall and I picked up a Conflict II 2000 at Amazon last Thanksgiving when they had their sale. Haven't done more than a few trial casts with it so far, but I think that reel, paired with a 7 1/2' St Croix is gonna be a Steelhead machine! Can't wait till November! 

5 hours ago, Sir Defyable said:

I did say I use it for surfcasting with no issues but I wouldn't dunk it all day long. Same with the spinfisher I would not dunk it on purpose. You will get a better gear in the CFII than the spinfisher, but less seals. Biggest advantage to me is the weight

I dont swim fish and if my reels get dunked its purely accidental. It is pretty light for a Penn for the amount of line they hold. About 2oz lighter then the Clash. Funny the Clash seems much better received seeing at is neary the same reel minus some resin bits