Wire For Fire

What to finish work bench top with ???

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

48 mins ago, Ben Lippen said:

Anything that keeps little screws and nails and such from running off the edge is always well worth the effort.

:th:

That’s what I was thinking . But then sitting there looking at . What I if I wanna out something square flat against back .. might just get some like 1x1/8 or 1/4 lil trim and slap that up so then at least it’s more square 

nicely done.

usually, i just rub in some paste wax and re apply once a year... i like the look of waxed MDF table top.  oh, and i glue two layers of MDF for my top for 1.5" work surface.

I had a 4x8 sheet of 3/8" steel diamond plate laying around. I cut it in 1/2 vertically, and used the smooth side up. Heavy as hell to build, but indestructible. Not as nice looking as your's though. 

Butch

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 hours ago, Africaster said:

I did a similar thing in my shed some time ago ... didn't think to leave a few inches overhang, now can't use clamps very easily  :banghd:

Yup :. Couple bigger clamping and nonbig deal .. but yes after it was cut and laid in i was like .. fuuuuuk

but even more of an excuse to extend another 8’ 

Edited by Wire For Fire

On 9/8/2019 at 11:28 AM, Wire For Fire said:

So finally got the time to clean out corner in my garage and slap together alil bench ..  I went for the nice finished ply , figured it gonna be there along time , why not .. but now what do I finish with .. I thinking just bunch of coats of a gloss poly ...  I got tons of yellowed etex lol or is that just asking for trouble .. what’s yall say 

D0FE61F8-62E5-4F86-9E98-704E889C1DF9.jpeg

St Croix makes chairs now? be careful it may snap

Good start, plenty of room to hang stuff, or for some pegboard. Finish it with the patina of years of your hammering, sanding, painting, screwing etc. I like a vise, and some bench dogs.

On 9/13/2019 at 3:30 PM, cheech said:

Good start, plenty of room to hang stuff, or for some pegboard. Finish it with the patina of years of your hammering, sanding, painting, screwing etc. I like a vise, and some bench dogs.

Bingo!  Woodworkers vise is great addition. Many choices for bench dogs now. Pick to suit your style of work. 

For your bench extension, consider putting it on wheels... I like the heavy duty ones from Rockler. Can move a 200 lb. table with a few fingers.