Birdsnester

Got the Tsunami Saltx 6000

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

So I just got the Saltx, came yesterday...  Pretty cool reel.  Couple of things I noticed just in case anyone was wondering... 

1. The size is just about the same as my Ultegra 5500

2. The reel seat extends out further than my 5500.  So guys with big hands like me don’t need to worry about the bail hitting your knuckles.

3. The bail I huge.  Meaning the diameter of the material is really substantial.

4. It’s really light weight.

5. Compared to a VS it’s much easier to crank the handle right out if the box.

6. The drag is ridiculous.  50 lbs for a fairy small reel is insane.

7. I got sand all over it, no problem.

8. Mike from Causeway B and T Long Island said they are coming in Black soon

F9331BAF-C5B1-4EDF-AC0A-F1E02BA55468.jpeg.f40cef780f6aea68298e73b6106a7706.jpeg1FBDADC3-EC86-4442-AC04-D1ACD9A9144A.jpeg.f7e0d1fc0c86e8333115a9ebeafa5545.jpeg256B5C43-DA3B-4944-8983-EC8470893D9E.jpeg.f8ca2c3d619494f0b97b8c58a071b41e.jpeg

9.  As usual I caught nothing lol...

75B4F1CB-EC98-43C5-8DAA-8E4E897F4203.jpeg.6ba4ea862ea4e49e6606577f931d26a9.jpeg

9C6EBEA1-E349-4C0F-892F-66521B70928F.jpeg

CC283F25-6DB2-437D-B1C6-FF317014214F.jpeg

Yep pretty good.  I’ve used it for about 6 hours now.  Casts as well as my Ultegra which is saying something.  Still haven’t caught anything lol 

seems very solid.  

18 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

Sounds really good.

Your Ultegra could do with a shim, probably two, under the spool.

Really, you don’t like the line lay?  I thought  it was pretty good lol

Had mine about a month now. You're pretty much on the ball with everything. I feel like the line lay is hit or miss. Mine is OKAY skme days. And beautiful others. Cant explain it. I've had way worse though. And yes the drag is ridiculous lol. The silver is nice but I feel the black is gonna be hot. Looking forward to the 4500 version for my ODM Genesis.

4 hours ago, Birdsnester said:

Really, you don’t like the line lay?  I thought  it was pretty good lol

Its a bit top heavy.

A shim or three will flatten it out.

1FBDADC3-EC86-4442-AC04-D1ACD9A9144A.jpeg.f7e0d1fc0c86e8333115a9ebeafa5545.jpeg

20 mins ago, ZAFisher said:

Its a bit top heavy.

A shim or three will flatten it out.

1FBDADC3-EC86-4442-AC04-D1ACD9A9144A.jpeg.f7e0d1fc0c86e8333115a9ebeafa5545.jpeg

This is exactly how Shimano recommends the line lay to look. Guys who go back to straight are just old school, including me. But I'm just afraid of change, supposedly this is the way to go.

2 hours ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Had mine about a month now. You're pretty much on the ball with everything. I feel like the line lay is hit or miss. Mine is OKAY skme days. And beautiful others. Cant explain it. I've had way worse though. And yes the drag is ridiculous lol. The silver is nice but I feel the black is gonna be hot. Looking forward to the 4500 version for my ODM Genesis.

I thought it was a 4000 that they are coming out with.  I can’t wait either!

44 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

I thought it was a 4000 that they are coming out with.  I can’t wait either!

You're right. No idea why I wrote 4500 lol. Long weekend.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Sir Defyable said:

This is exactly how Shimano recommends the line lay to look. Guys who go back to straight are just old school, including me. But I'm just afraid of change, supposedly this is the way to go.

Perhaps I am OTT, slightly coned I understand, but that is bunched at the top with a distinct dent at the bottom, not just cone shaped.

Could just be slightly overfull. However, I am sway swaying post away from original intent. If it works, leave it alone. Apologies

The SaltX looks promising.

Bump and detent.jpg

Line lay.gif

Edited by ZAFisher

13 mins ago, ZAFisher said:

Perhaps I am OTT, slightly coned I understand, but that is bunched at the top with a distinct dent at the bottom, not just cone shaped.

Could just be slightly overfull. However, I am sway swaying post away from original intent. If it works, leave it alone. Apologies

Bump and detent.jpg

Line lay.gif

Looking more closely, you may be right. A smooth cone is one thing, but those lumps will be a problem. Maybe just one shim?

32 mins ago, ZAFisher said:

Bump and detent.jpg

Line lay.gif

I appreciate it thanks.  Funny thing is that this is by far the longest casting reel I have.  Never a wind knot either.  I do see the point though.