coastalfreak

Anyone getting sliced by low diameter braids?

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

This is the second time in the past few months that some 8 or 10 pound braid has sliced into my skin when tying up tackle and gripping the line to tighten knots. 

Its like Ike a paper cut but worse. It doesn’t feel great at all and it’s annoying. 

Any similar experiences? Or do I just have the world’s thinnest skin. 

You need to toughen up those hands young man or glove up for knot tying.

Ooppps,i just realized I might have made a “gender identity” mistake.

oopssie doodle,my bad..

Grip the braid such that it doesn't slip (e.g., wrap it around you hands several times and over itself). Can't slice if it doesn't move. Avoid the braid catching in the creases at knuckles. If you need to tighten the short tag end of a knot, just use pliers. Ultimately, though, olvart's not too far off the mark---get used to it if you can. I'm looking at my hands right now, and there are two raised bruise lines around both hands. When fishing around the clock, the sides of my hands opposite of the thumb look like prison wall tally marks. This is due to tightening FG knots in 30-40lb braid as close to (and sometimes past) breaking strength. 

You could also use commercial knot tightening tools, but come on---we've all got too much gear as it is. Enjoy every aspect of the sport to the fullest. 

1 hour ago, Cpalms said:

I get them all the time, especially on the sides of my pinkie or index finger joints.

bring crazy glue to glue the slices closed. Seriously.

This is the truth...Diameter doesn't matter. 20lb braid slices...50lb braid slices...crazy glue works miracles...still gonna sting for a few days though. 

Not while tying knots but I've been cut trying to swing in a fish.  To solve that I tie on a 10# to 20# mono leader that is as long as the rod.  Has been working for me for a couple of decades.

Honestly 6lb mono will slice your finger open if given enough pressure braid and mono are not forgiving when it come to tying knots. Best thing would probably be just using gloves 

Edited by Gooch88