BrianBM

Century rod demo at Oak Beach Inn

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

Braid. Braid. Braid.

Set up varies depending on target species and conditions

30-80lb braid main line FG'd or PR'd to 20-25' of 50-150lb braid casting leader.

FG'd to short section of mono and then trace/rig

Clip down rigs rule, typically baits clipped to the sinker via the hook or with what we call a dingle dangle

Reels: anything from a 10000 to a 25000 size Shimano Saragossa, Twin Power or for the elite a Stella.

5500-8000 Daiwa BG, or Saltiga or 6000-8500 Penn Spinfisher or Slammer

For Drum I cannot think the really big reels are required, other in that long casts empty reels substantially

On 9/8/2019 at 0:41 AM, Popasilov said:

Thank you Mike and Justin for very pleasant morning.

Mike had a kid with him and looks like kid had some fun, too. He had a small (not Century????) rod with popper and was taking few swings with it.

I was playing with lighter rods, I brought my favorite reels with me, (some of you may guess, lol) Shimano IX4000R, filled with KastKing 20 and 30lb.Brian was kind enough to loan me a 1oz diamond jig for a few cast and then I replaced it with small 3/4 Epoxy and about 4 feet fluoro leader.

First I was playing with  a 10' Stealth, rated 1 to 4oz, and (Brian's) diamond jig. Very nice rod, felt good in the hands, but for my taste little bit to much stiffed, since most of the time I am throwing light weights.

Next was a 9' SurfMachine, rated 3/4 to 3oz. That was THE rod I was eyeballing since I came out of the car. It was just leaning over fance rope and waiting for me to pick it up. So, I did.

What a beauty. Just felt right in my hands. Just right (AL Goldberg, you got some competition) and I loved it. I put my (expensive) $10 reels with 20lb braid, 15lb leader and 3/4oz epoxy and start casting.

It was good; I am not a great caster but that lure was going where I wanted to go.I even, had a fish but I lost it, probably because hook was a very small size and my drag was close to 0 or no drag at all.

Anyway, 9' SurfMachine is a rod to have.

I spend some time playing with 10' SurfMachine, It is a probably great rod but after 9,' it was just OK.

Also, had a chance to cast 9' Slingshot, 3/4 to 3oz, . First time I used one of those bailess reels, I think it was old VS that desperately needs tuning. Lure was flying for a mile and longer but it wasn't SurfMachine. If I wasn't married, that 9' SurfMachine will be sleeping with me tonight.

When I came back home and told my wife that I was thinking to open (our) valet, pool a trigger and buy that rod, her comment was:

"Honey,

After the divorce, and after alimony and child support, you can buy whatever you want, no problem"

She never calls me honey, unless she wants to make a point and that was the end of conversation.

I may find courage, in a few years to bring this conversation again.. For now, I like sleeping in our (read her) bed and living in our (read her) house.

One more thing I have to say

Thank you Mark, from Cow Harbor, to help me and explain me how to use bailess reel. Mark is a very nice guy and if you are passing by Northport stop by Cow Harbor bait and tackle  and just say hello.

My only complain was that Century team did NOT bring any hot sauce for burgers and hot dogs.

Thank you guys again.

If I attend one more of your demo I am getting divorce.

And, not because of your hamburgers.

PS

BrianBm was drooling all around that C2DS rod and was acting like a kid in McDonald pool party. He was jumping and dancing all over and nothing wrong with his knee. He tried 8oz lead and 6oz and later 8oz again. He was plying with his conventional reel, but after casting few times with spinning reel, he admitted that, his words

"spinning may be better that conventional"

Finally!!!!!!

Now we need to convince him that Republicans are much better choice then Democrats and mission accomplished.

Pop............i'm on the same page with you regarding that Surf Machine.  A few questions though.....

a.)  Was the Surf Machine you were using the "Graphene" model?

b.)  Did you have a chance to compare the Surf Machine with and without Graphene ?  (is there a casting difference)

c.)  How much further would you say the Surf Machine threw than the Sling Shot?  Any lighter than the SS?

Thanks for now.......

41 mins ago, yogiiiboy said:

Pop............i'm on the same page with you regarding that Surf Machine.  A few questions though.....

a.)  Was the Surf Machine you were using the "Graphene" model?

b.)  Did you have a chance to compare the Surf Machine with and without Graphene ?  (is there a casting difference)

c.)  How much further would you say the Surf Machine threw than the Sling Shot?  Any lighter than the SS?

Thanks for now.......

a.) I think, both models that I was casting were with coat of Graphene; I remember Mike was saying something about it, but honestly, my eyes and ears were on that rod that I was holding so I didn't pay much attention to anything else. Well, I heard when he said 700 something, but I did NOT want to hear that.

b.) No, nor I was thinking  about it. I had 9' toy in my hands and everything else  didn't matter.

c.) I didn't notice much difference or I didn't pay attention. I was casting SlingShot but my eyes were on the SurfMachine that was leaning on the rack,  just few feet away from me.

Sorry yogi

I couldn't help you more

I was distracted by 9' SM

9 mins ago, Popasilov said:

a.) I think, both models that I was casting were with coat of Graphene; I remember Mike was saying something about it, but honestly, my eyes and ears were on that rod that I was holding so I didn't pay much attention to anything else. Well, I heard when he said 700 something, but I did NOT want to hear that.

b.) No, nor I was thinking  about it. I had 9' toy in my hands and everything else  didn't matter.

c.) I didn't notice much difference or I didn't pay attention. I was casting SlingShot but my eyes were on the SurfMachine that was leaning on the rack,  just few feet away from me.

Sorry yogi

I couldn't help you more

I was distracted by 9' SM

Ok then...can you tell me what impressed you the most about the SM?  Especially the casting aspect, since this rod is supposedly engineered for this purpose.

Boy, i can tell you that i am definitely in the market for this rod...sooner or later ..........but i'd like to know some differences between the non-graphene vs. the graphene models first.....

thanks Pop !!

5 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

Braid. Braid. Braid.

Set up varies depending on target species and conditions

30-80lb braid main line FG'd or PR'd to 20-25' of 50-150lb braid casting leader.

FG'd to short section of mono and then trace/rig

Clip down rigs rule, typically baits clipped to the sinker via the hook or with what we call a dingle dangle

Reels: anything from a 10000 to a 25000 size Shimano Saragossa, Twin Power or for the elite a Stella.

5500-8000 Daiwa BG, or Saltiga or 6000-8500 Penn Spinfisher or Slammer

For Drum I cannot think the really big reels are required, other in that long casts empty reels substantially

You posted a picture of a damn good shark being held by the angler in the surf.  Was that fish taken, if you know, on spinning tackle?

Somewhere along the line, I remember seeing a post from an angler who mentioned that he participated in sharkfishing tournaments, and liked an Avet LX for the combination of ease of casting and drag power that it offered. Using a shock leader of 100-150 lb braid has been mentioned by ReelnRod, another poster here; if I go that route I'll have to try that.

I agree that drum don't need the largest of the reels you mention. My impression from reading the posts of drum enthusiasts on the Hatteras/OBX Forum is that distance casting is needed only to fish distant structure, the drum themselves are happy to swim at your feet if the structure is close to shore. 

Do the Penn Torque spinning reels have any currency in South Africa? I doubt that they're as smooth as any of the top end Daiwa or Shimano reels, but Alan Hawk remarked that they're mechanically simpler and should outlast the more refined reels we get from Japanese manufacturers. 

Yogi, AFAIK all the Surf Machines now include graphene in their construction.

Further thought, with reference to ZAFisher's posts on drum.  The record fish, which goes back to the 1970s I think, was caught on a Daiwa 7000.  By current standards that's a thoroughly obsolete reel, and red drum are pound-for-pound far stronger than striped bass.

That big VS (and Popasilov was right, it was a VS, not a ZB) felt up to cranking in anything I might meet.  

8 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Yogi, AFAIK all the Surf Machines now include graphene in their construction.

Further thought, with reference to ZAFisher's posts on drum.  The record fish, which goes back to the 1970s I think, was caught on a Daiwa 7000.  By current standards that's a thoroughly obsolete reel, and red drum are pound-for-pound far stronger than striped bass.

That big VS (and Popasilov was right, it was a VS, not a ZB) felt up to cranking in anything I might meet.  

Brian..........thanks....one more thing, is there a Surf Machine "Elite" line? 

Century has so many models it can get confusing at times...........

3 hours ago, yogiiiboy said:

Ok then...can you tell me what impressed you the most about the SM?  Especially the casting aspect, since this rod is supposedly engineered for this purpose.

Boy, i can tell you that i am definitely in the market for this rod...sooner or later ..........but i'd like to know some differences between the non-graphene vs. the graphene models first.....

thanks Pop !!

I think all Century rods are made with Graphene now.

I can not tell you what impressed me most with that rod. First time when I saw it leaning on the rope fence. I was parking car and there were few, five or six rods leaning there but from the car I knew I would like it.

Well I was wrong, i didn't like it, I love it.

And then, as soon as I lift it, it felt great. I don't know how to explain it. The only other rod that felt great like this was Al Goldberg, 9' spinning surf rod, that he made for Melville show 2 years ago. (Guess what, I think he used Century blank, lol :howdy:)

I am sure if you contact AFMike, he can arrange for you to see them, maybe to take a swing or two, since he is in South Jersey.

https://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/profile/79098-afmike/

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

I think so, but the advanced-fishing site is the worst tackle site on the Internet..

I agree with you 350%

There is no description on any rods, except price.

LOL

Good thing I am familiar with rod that interest me (after the divorce)

4 hours ago, Popasilov said:

I think all Century rods are made with Graphene now.

I can not tell you what impressed me most with that rod. First time when I saw it leaning on the rope fence. I was parking car and there were few, five or six rods leaning there but from the car I knew I would like it.

Well I was wrong, i didn't like it, I love it.

And then, as soon as I lift it, it felt great. I don't know how to explain it. The only other rod that felt great like this was Al Goldberg, 9' spinning surf rod, that he made for Melville show 2 years ago. (Guess what, I think he used Century blank, lol :howdy:)

I am sure if you contact AFMike, he can arrange for you to see them, maybe to take a swing or two, since he is in South Jersey.

https://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/profile/79098-afmike/

Thanks Pop..... yeah, I’ve talked to AFMike.....I just don’t want to waste his time until I’m ready to buy that rod.  I kind of feel the same way you do about it and I’ve never even touched it.  The many many reviews I’ve read all say the same thing..... and I need a rod like this more times than not to clear the bar down here in south jersey where sand beaches rule the landscape.

Also, last time I checked, models that incorporated the graphene seemed to have had a significant price increase as opposed to their brethren without it......

Thanks for your info Pop..... much appreciated  :th:

23 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

This one?

5b618f6a8f002_CraigNeil265kgdusky.jpg.a9d9d093437181bd4e8c981277daec9e.jpg

That's the one. 

To catch shark here in NJ, you need to fish at night, and Browns, Sand Duskie's etc. do not get that big, so far as I know...Although I did have a Penn 525Mag loaded with 14lb Suffix Siege  mono spooled one night in the time it took me to lift the rod, bottom out the drag and have both thumbprints almost burned off...I left the beach and upgraded the next day to a completely tricked out Swedish made ABU 7000c3ct with carbon matrix and hand lapped stainless steel drag washers.  Loaded it with 20lb Suffix Siege and never was spooled after that, although I did come close a few times.  Now all our surf available sharks are protected, and my back/knees/feet don't really want to fight a long, drawn out fight anymore, so I avoid Cow Nosed Rays and targeting sharks.

I'm not a shark angler either, at least not on purpose.

14 hours ago, BrianBM said:

You posted a picture of a damn good shark being held by the angler in the surf.  Was that fish taken, if you know, on spinning tackle?

Somewhere along the line, I remember seeing a post from an angler who mentioned that he participated in sharkfishing tournaments, and liked an Avet LX for the combination of ease of casting and drag power that it offered. Using a shock leader of 100-150 lb braid has been mentioned by ReelnRod, another poster here; if I go that route I'll have to try that.

I agree that drum don't need the largest of the reels you mention. My impression from reading the posts of drum enthusiasts on the Hatteras/OBX Forum is that distance casting is needed only to fish distant structure, the drum themselves are happy to swim at your feet if the structure is close to shore. 

Do the Penn Torque spinning reels have any currency in South Africa? I doubt that they're as smooth as any of the top end Daiwa or Shimano reels, but Alan Hawk remarked that they're mechanically simpler and should outlast the more refined reels we get from Japanese manufacturers.

That fish (it weighed over 550lb) was taken on a Penn Squall 50VSW.

Re the Penn Torque spinners - I have only seen a handful here.

Penn cocked that one up here, by not promoting them.

They would be perfect as our lot wade and reel under water.

Posted (edited) · Report post

A Penn 50VSW would be a bit much for my modest casting skills. I believe that's one example that I will not attempt to follow. ;)

If I were fishing bait at the times and places where sharks were a real possibility, I'd probably look for a Siegler Surf, a Torque star drag, or a Daiwa Saltiga conventional. 

The earlier Saltiga star drags included a 30 Surf.  I don't know how it differed from the otherwise standard Saltiga 30.  However, I don't think the current Saltiga star drags include a reel tweaked for surf use. ....  must try out my Saltiga 30 and see how comfortably it fits a surf rod.  It's a heck of a nice reel on a boat. 

Edited by BrianBM
Added "If"

On 9/10/2019 at 5:37 PM, BrianBM said:

must try out my Saltiga 30 and see how comfortably it fits a surf rod

Try. Its a super surf reel.