BrianBM

Century rod demo at Oak Beach Inn

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

If you meant to attend the Century demo today, and you missed it, you missed a pleasant morning's fooling with tackle. Only three, maybe four people had showed up by the time I left.

I was a morning attendee. Popasilov was there, maybe one other gent. The rest of the crowd were Century pro-staffers from Montauk, NJ, and Connecticut. A dozen or so different rods were in circulation.  Where were you guys? Who doesn't like playing with tackle?  

My interest was in Hatteras Heavers, I'd asked AFMike to send a couple up, and he did. Both had the "Textreme" finish, both blanks use some amount of graphene, both were 13', both are two-piece, and both seemed like nice sticks. I did a bit of casting with six and eight ounce sinkers on each rod. 

Century C2DSMJB (the last three initials, perhaps, indicates whomever at the shop made the rod) was set up for a conventional reel.  I put a Newell 220 and 229 on it, both with 20 lb. mono and 50 lb shock leaders. The rod's rated for 20-60 lb. line and 2 to 8 oz "lures," though it's got to be rare to see this rod being used for anything but sinkers and bait.  I'd've liked several more inches of butt, however, that's personal and entirely subjective. I would not have liked to cast anything more than 8 oz., and that's subjective too - even with a bit of rubber tube over my casting thumb, 8 was the absolute most that I could hold in place for a cast. In any case, it certainly cast these weights better than anything I've owned or used previously. 

The other rod was a Century Surf Machine Max, C2DS Max 2B and rated for 20-80 lb line and 5-12 oz payloads. I think this is either a prototype or very new production; AFMike mentioned it in an earlier thread.  The rod was configured for a spinning reel, and one of the Century pros had it wearing a VS spinner with heavy braid.

This is a real sweetheart of a rod. I haven't done any 8-n-bait casting with spinning reels, and have preferred to fish cut bait with conventional reels, but this outfit felt wonderfully solid in the hand. Distances achiever were well beyond anything I've reached with these weights before, though I'm not a great caster. 

Popasilov was present and did some casting with lighter rods. If you have questions about lighter spin sticks, ask him. I know the rod "the Weapon" was present, he may have done some casting with it.

I don't know how these rods compare to Heaver rods from CTS, BH, ODM, or anyone else. Normally, if I want a rod of a particular type, I call Al Goldberg and say "I want to do thus-and-such, what would you like to build?" I can fairly say that both rods were nice in the hand, the Max in particular. I have to rethink heavy spinning reels as tools for 8 and bait. 

It was a fun way to spend a morning. 

The parking lot was purchased as park property. It has a name now, but everybody (within my hearing, anyway) still calls it the OBI. The building was torn down years ago.

It's a nice enough place for a casting demo. I was really surprised that so few people showed up. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I was there too. Very pleasant morning. The Century pro staffers are great guys. Very friendly and helpful. I was checking out thier new Century Wapon. I Like that rod a lot. Gonna get one to keep down in Florida for the winters. 

Edited by Fishing & Hunting

Thank you Mike and Justin for very pleasant morning.

Mike had a kid with him and looks like kid had some fun, too. He had a small (not Century????) rod with popper and was taking few swings with it.

I was playing with lighter rods, I brought my favorite reels with me, (some of you may guess, lol) Shimano IX4000R, filled with KastKing 20 and 30lb.Brian was kind enough to loan me a 1oz diamond jig for a few cast and then I replaced it with small 3/4 Epoxy and about 4 feet fluoro leader.

First I was playing with  a 10' Stealth, rated 1 to 4oz, and (Brian's) diamond jig. Very nice rod, felt good in the hands, but for my taste little bit to much stiffed, since most of the time I am throwing light weights.

Next was a 9' SurfMachine, rated 3/4 to 3oz. That was THE rod I was eyeballing since I came out of the car. It was just leaning over fance rope and waiting for me to pick it up. So, I did.

What a beauty. Just felt right in my hands. Just right (AL Goldberg, you got some competition) and I loved it. I put my (expensive) $10 reels with 20lb braid, 15lb leader and 3/4oz epoxy and start casting.

It was good; I am not a great caster but that lure was going where I wanted to go.I even, had a fish but I lost it, probably because hook was a very small size and my drag was close to 0 or no drag at all.

Anyway, 9' SurfMachine is a rod to have.

I spend some time playing with 10' SurfMachine, It is a probably great rod but after 9,' it was just OK.

Also, had a chance to cast 9' Slingshot, 3/4 to 3oz, . First time I used one of those bailess reels, I think it was old VS that desperately needs tuning. Lure was flying for a mile and longer but it wasn't SurfMachine. If I wasn't married, that 9' SurfMachine will be sleeping with me tonight.

When I came back home and told my wife that I was thinking to open (our) valet, pool a trigger and buy that rod, her comment was:

"Honey,

After the divorce, and after alimony and child support, you can buy whatever you want, no problem"

She never calls me honey, unless she wants to make a point and that was the end of conversation.

I may find courage, in a few years to bring this conversation again.. For now, I like sleeping in our (read her) bed and living in our (read her) house.

One more thing I have to say

Thank you Mark, from Cow Harbor, to help me and explain me how to use bailess reel. Mark is a very nice guy and if you are passing by Northport stop by Cow Harbor bait and tackle  and just say hello.

My only complain was that Century team did NOT bring any hot sauce for burgers and hot dogs.

Thank you guys again.

If I attend one more of your demo I am getting divorce.

And, not because of your hamburgers.

PS

BrianBm was drooling all around that C2DS rod and was acting like a kid in McDonald pool party. He was jumping and dancing all over and nothing wrong with his knee. He tried 8oz lead and 6oz and later 8oz again. He was plying with his conventional reel, but after casting few times with spinning reel, he admitted that, his words

"spinning may be better that conventional"

Finally!!!!!!

Now we need to convince him that Republicans are much better choice then Democrats and mission accomplished.

Edited by Popasilov

That VS conveyed a sense of solidity like no other spinning reel I've ever used.  I was startled.  My knees .... let's not even discuss what they're like this AM.  Popasilov was discreetly positioned behind when I went up or down hill, for a bit, ready to catch me if I took a pratfall - a nice man, he is.  

Another gent in the bait and tackle biz, who doesn't like repairing reels, has told me that if I want a reel beautifully repaired, Mark at Cow Harbor is the man to see. It's a funny thing, but good reel repair is hard to find. 

Apropos of Century rods, I'd meant to bring my 1327 along to compare to a newer, graphene-using 1327. Alas, I brought the butt of the 1327 and the tip of an old Breakaway, so I couldn't make the comparison.  D'oh!

10 hours ago, Popasilov said:

Thank you Mike and Justin for very pleasant morning.

Mike had a kid with him and looks like kid had some fun, too. He had a small (not Century????) rod with popper and was taking few swings with it.

I was playing with lighter rods, I brought my favorite reels with me, (some of you may guess, lol) Shimano IX4000R, filled with KastKing 20 and 30lb.Brian was kind enough to loan me a 1oz diamond jig for a few cast and then I replaced it with small 3/4 Epoxy and about 4 feet fluoro leader.

First I was playing with  a 10' Stealth, rated 1 to 4oz, and (Brian's) diamond jig. Very nice rod, felt good in the hands, but for my taste little bit to much stiffed, since most of the time I am throwing light weights.

Next was a 9' SurfMachine, rated 3/4 to 3oz. That was THE rod I was eyeballing since I came out of the car. It was just leaning over fance rope and waiting for me to pick it up. So, I did.

What a beauty. Just felt right in my hands. Just right (AL Goldberg, you got some competition) and I loved it. I put my (expensive) $10 reels with 20lb braid, 15lb leader and 3/4oz epoxy and start casting.

It was good; I am not a great caster but that lure was going where I wanted to go.I even, had a fish but I lost it, probably because hook was a very small size and my drag was close to 0 or no drag at all.

Anyway, 9' SurfMachine is a rod to have.

I spend some time playing with 10' SurfMachine, It is a probably great rod but after 9,' it was just OK.

Also, had a chance to cast 9' Slingshot, 3/4 to 3oz, . First time I used one of those bailess reels, I think it was old VS that desperately needs tuning. Lure was flying for a mile and longer but it wasn't SurfMachine. If I wasn't married, that 9' SurfMachine will be sleeping with me tonight.

When I came back home and told my wife that I was thinking to open (our) valet, pool a trigger and buy that rod, her comment was:

"Honey,

After the divorce, and after alimony and child support, you can buy whatever you want, no problem"

She never calls me honey, unless she wants to make a point and that was the end of conversation.

I may find courage, in a few years to bring this conversation again.. For now, I like sleeping in our (read her) bed and living in our (read her) house.

One more thing I have to say

Thank you Mark, from Cow Harbor, to help me and explain me how to use bailess reel. Mark is a very nice guy and if you are passing by Northport stop by Cow Harbor bait and tackle  and just say hello.

My only complain was that Century team did NOT bring any hot sauce for burgers and hot dogs.

Thank you guys again.

If I attend one more of your demo I am getting divorce.

And, not because of your hamburgers.

PS

BrianBm was drooling all around that C2DS rod and was acting like a kid in McDonald pool party. He was jumping and dancing all over and nothing wrong with his knee. He tried 8oz lead and 6oz and later 8oz again. He was plying with his conventional reel, but after casting few times with spinning reel, he admitted that, his words

"spinning may be better that conventional"

Finally!!!!!!

Now we need to convince him that Republicans are much better choice then Democrats and mission accomplished.

That sir, was a GREAT read!  

I'm curious as to what spinner was so good to start swaying opinion of @BrianBM ?

Anyone get a chance to throw the 9.6 Weapon...or at least the 8?

Edited by jrk
not enough coffee

I tried the 13' Surf Machine Max, C2D5, with six and 8 oz sinkers. It was wearing a VS (250 or 300) with the drag screwed down light, and the absolute lack of play anywhere in the reel was startling. I haven't handled a spinning reel like that before. 

Distances achieved with 6 and 8 oz. sinkers, on that rod and with that reel, were startlingly good. 

Edited by BrianBM
VS not ZB

14 mins ago, jrk said:

That sir, was a GREAT read!  

Thank you jrk

14 mins ago, jrk said:

I'm curious as to what spinner was so good to start swaying opinion of @BrianBM ?

I think it was a Van Staal 150

Edit;

Brian just posted that it was a ZB

14 mins ago, jrk said:

Anyone get a chance to throw the 9.6 Weapon...or at least the 8?

I think Mark from Cow Harbor bait and tackle was playing with that and also, there is a comment from another member

14 hours ago, Fishing & Hunting said:

I was checking out thier new Century Wapon. I Like that rod a lot. Gonna get one to keep down in Florida for the winters. 

Edited by Popasilov

On 9/7/2019 at 9:11 PM, BrianBM said:

I haven't done any 8-n-bait casting with spinning reels, and have preferred to fish cut bait with conventional reels, but this outfit felt wonderfully solid in the hand. Distances achiever were well beyond anything I've reached with these weights before, though I'm not a great caster

Hey Brian,

Spinners on heavers have pretty much taken over down here.

Big heavers mind you, with beeeg sinkers and beeeg baits.

Mates of mine test rods to breaking point.

I'll look for the video of one of them throwing an 8oz sinker + 250ml (8oz) Coke bottle, with a fixed spool, on a 15' rod.

As mad as balloons.

B

ZAfisher, are your mates also using braided lines on those spinners, or do they still prefer monofilament? 

5 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

Hey Brian,

Spinners on heavers have pretty much taken over down here.

Big heavers mind you, with beeeg sinkers and beeeg baits.

Mates of mine test rods to breaking point.

I'll look for the video of one of them throwing an 8oz sinker + 250ml (8oz) Coke bottle, with a fixed spool, on a 15' rod.

As mad as balloons.

B

And - while we're on that subject - what spinning reels are locally favored for beeeg sinkers and bait?