JerseyMike609

Chunking

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

So I'm not one of the guys who look down of fishing bait but I rarely do outside of bloods so when I do I kind of take the caveman approach and just chuck and pray.I dont do it much mostly because I cant cast far,my bait helicopters so I usually just end up plugging or fishing clam, I could use some pointers ha?

I’m going to start this fall also. Been plugging for a few years with decent success. Picked up a lamiglas heaver recently and going to give it a shot. Im pretty sure it’s as simple as a rod that can handle the weight, a fish finder rig and the freshest bait you can get your hands on. 

6 hours ago, JerseyMike609 said:

So I'm not one of the guys who look down of fishing bait but I rarely do outside of bloods so when I do I kind of take the caveman approach and just chuck and pray.I dont do it much mostly because I cant cast far,my bait helicopters so I usually just end up plugging or fishing clam, I could use some pointers ha?

I’m a chunker too!  Bait release clips really help stop the helicopter. I would highly recommend looking at how the folks in the UK fish.  They have all kinds of neat ideas and gadgets.  I use these clips and others and do not helicopter much anymore.  Also tying your bunker or whatever soft meat Yu are tossing really helps.  Elastic clam tie or rubber bands work to keep the chunk on the hook

CA51ED27-E198-4BF4-A0E4-2D4E2DFA39DE.png

Distance is not always important. Most of the time, the fish are closer than you think. I often fish open beaches with my pops and he gets more bites than me because I can cast further than him and over the strike zone.. Fish love the wash.

I chunk or throw clams sometimes when I'm in the mood to do so. IMO it's not to be looked down upon. There have been many a night where the bait guys were crushing it and I was throwing every plug in the bag like WTF?! It happens. I remember one night where they only wanted bunker heads and nothing else. Either way there's not much to it. I use a fishfinder rig. I find that if you load up your cast but keep tension on the entire rig throughout your casting/heaving motion you can minimize the helicoptering to an extent. Think of a more steady heave than a jerky motion. If there are big blues around I will try to avoid the steel leader as long as possible and instead go with very heavy mono. Sometimes you gotta go with the steel but I avoid it as long as possible. I find that the bait drifts better with the more elastic mono. 

On my bait setups I prefer mono, either 17# or 20#, 30# yo-zuri fluoro leader about from my fingertips to elbow for length. Fishfinder setup with a Gamikatsu 8/0 Octopus. 

When casting, I more or less do a lob style cast. Sort of release the line with the rod at a 11:00 position, where with plugs it’s a 10:00 or so. (This is with a 3-4oz sinker)

I feel kind of stupid asking because you would think chuncking would be the most basic do nothing type of fishing but there really is an art to it,its possible I am doing everything correctly but for some reason I always feel like I have alot to learn when it comes to fishing bunker.Clams/bloods and fleas I feel confident but as soon as i put that chunk on i start questioning everything.Thank alot!

2 hours ago, Birdsnester said:

rubber bands work to keep the chunk on the hook

thats what i do,i use the heaviest rubber bands i can find and never loose a chunk while casting.

tie the rubber band to the hook,feed the hook through the bait,bring the rubber band around the bait and onto the hook point

P1080566.JPG

P1080568.JPG

I started using a drum rig & I'm impressed with my distance vs the traditional slip sinker rig.  Short leader & fixed weight casts further then sliding carolina rig with less helicoptering.

8 hours ago, Delzea said:

thats what i do,i use the heaviest rubber bands i can find and never loose a chunk while casting.

tie the rubber band to the hook,feed the hook through the bait,bring the rubber band around the bait and onto the hook point

P1080566.JPG

P1080568.JPG

I never thought if tying the rubber band to the hook first.  Good idea.  

9 hours ago, Delzea said:

P1080566.JPG

P1080568.JPG

This is an excellent idea...I most of the time use a circle hook that has bait holder barbs on them...

1 hour ago, Birdsnester said:

I never thought if tying the rubber band to the hook first.  Good idea

i find tying it on the hook does 2 things-

makes it a little easier and prevents the rubber band from ever coming off the hook and ending up in the water.

also giving the rubber band 1 twist(so it crosses over itself) when you get to other side of the bait helps to control it from sliding off the bait as you're trying to hook it over the hook point (as i did in the photo)

22 hours ago, Delzea said:

P1080566.JPG

P1080568.JPG

That's a great idea!