Opinion on Mojo Large Mouth Bass Rods

Max4

Getting back into freshwater Large Mouth Fishing and was wondering how you experts felt about St. Croix's Mojo Bass rods ? Or what other rods you would recomend that would'nt break the bank ? Thanks very much as always ! MAX 

Edited by Max4
Added the word Rods to title

On 9/9/2019 at 9:28 AM, BFThunter said:

I have the mojo dropshot, love it. Use it for almost everything in the weight range. Senko, small topwater, ned rigs, drop shotting, small crankbaits, trout fishing. I definitely prefer super fast rods, give it a shot. 

Most true dropshot rods don't really translate well to general purpose.  Not goin down the rabbit hole of "you NEED a specific rod for everything"

But the sacrificial super light tip that transfers quickly to power.  Kinda sucks for anything but light soft plastics on small hooks.

@Max4

I haven't used the new mojos.  But previous gen mojos were pretty lifeless and dull rods.

Bad enough that a friend gave me one of his after his second time out.  And I haven't used it since the first time I had it out.

Check out the Megabass levante rods.  Very nice rods..There is a weird recall on them for breakage....but breakage didn't occur in the Levante line they just want to play it safe.   If you can get one now cheap...jump on it..if not October is when they are coming back out.  Nice components.  Of the 2 in the series I've used.  I really like the actions and sensitivity.  And very nice looking.  Mine was smashed in a shipping box...bent a few guides....bent em straight and caught a few hundred fish on it since without issue.

Kistler if you want sensitivity and performance but don't care about components and green handles.

I think the above 2 are some of the best 200$ sticks out.

The cork daiwa tatulas are spectacular for the money.  As are the silver tatula rods especially with the ags guides. 

I found the e6 loomis rods to be heavy in comparison to some others in the price range.  Cheap for a loomis but found there to be better for the money from others.

I go through reels like water....but rods not so much...it's all the action that I prefer for what I'm using it for....St Croixs haven't done it for me in a long time for me to want to keep one.  

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

I'm going to rock the boat on this one.  I have a boat load (well literally several boat loads) of higher end bass rods including several Kistlers and custom drop shot rigs.  I've recently purchased a few of the Amazon Chinese rods to try out.  For general crank baits and worming they really aren't much different than the better rods.  Yes, if you are drop shotting then by all means get a Shimano or better yet a Kistler.  If I blind folded you and had you try a Mojo and a Piscifun doubt most people could tell the difference.

I have a newer (SCIII graphite) mojo bass spinning 7' MHF, and I really like it. It's extremely light and sensitive, but has a lot of pulling power that I feel like some of my lighter ugly stiks just don't have. I don't have much to compare it to, but it's been my first graphite rod and I've really enjoyed it so far. I don't use it for LMB but I use it mainly for inshore fishing, and have caught big striper, blues, rays, flounder etc on it and it's performed wonderfully. I have thrown some topwater frogs and ploppers for snakeheads with it and caught some big LMB with it in addition to snakehead, so I know it's up to the task. 

Wow lot of information for sure ! I remember years ago when i bass fished you didnt have a specialty rod for each type of bait lol , you got a couple rods , couple reels put a couple different baits on em and went at it lol . So interesting to me to hear the different types and lengths of rods for this and that ? I am not looking to spend a lot of money on the freshwater thing or get to technical really just the good ole basics . Couple rods crankbait , buzzbait , worm lol old school ?.

4 hours ago, hobobob said:

Well, you asked. :laugh:  Just go to the store and shake a few rods.

Truer words have never been spoken hobobob ! I usually like to try and get stuff from the BST site here when folks have moved on or whatever ? Like Scooby said above he goes through reels like water lol . I sure would like to grab a couple of those for instance ! Thanks so much for all of your experience and time to post your knowledge it really helps guys !! GREAT GREAT bunch of folks on this site for sure !! 

On 9/10/2019 at 1:42 PM, scoobydoo said:

Most true dropshot rods don't really translate well to general purpose.  Not goin down the rabbit hole of "you NEED a specific rod for everything"

But the sacrificial super light tip that transfers quickly to power.  Kinda sucks for anything but light soft plastics on small hooks.

@Max4

I haven't used the new mojos.  But previous gen mojos were pretty lifeless and dull rods.

Bad enough that a friend gave me one of his after his second time out.  And I haven't used it since the first time I had it out.

Check out the Megabass levante rods.  Very nice rods..There is a weird recall on them for breakage....but breakage didn't occur in the Levante line they just want to play it safe.   If you can get one now cheap...jump on it..if not October is when they are coming back out.  Nice components.  Of the 2 in the series I've used.  I really like the actions and sensitivity.  And very nice looking.  Mine was smashed in a shipping box...bent a few guides....bent em straight and caught a few hundred fish on it since without issue.

Kistler if you want sensitivity and performance but don't care about components and green handles.

I think the above 2 are some of the best 200$ sticks out.

The cork daiwa tatulas are spectacular for the money.  As are the silver tatula rods especially with the ags guides. 

I found the e6 loomis rods to be heavy in comparison to some others in the price range.  Cheap for a loomis but found there to be better for the money from others.

I go through reels like water....but rods not so much...it's all the action that I prefer for what I'm using it for....St Croixs haven't done it for me in a long time for me to want to keep one.  

Thanks Scooby !!