Brdhntr47

Star Surf Rods OR.......

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Thinking about an 8’ one piece Star Surf Rod. The Paraflex and Stellar are both 8’ one piece models. The specs are pretty close on both. The rod will be used on the beach in Florida casting 1 to 2 oz. lures.

Anyone have any experience with either of these rods or any other 8’ one piece?

Thanks.

Dennis

Well this might help out a bit.  I have the paraflex model but in the 9'.  Very nice quality build rod for the price.  I found it to be stiffer than I though it was going to be.  There is very little bend in the rod.  I don't think it loads very well a the bottom end of the weight range. I bought mine online without ever seeing one.  No fault but mine.  It was a gamble.  Your 8' one should be better in the 1-2oz range that you are looking for I would think. 

The Stellar Lite has a little softer tip, and is a little more sensitive, imo. It would get my vote of the two. Very nice rod for the $$.

When I read this thread I said to myself "I think I have a couple of Star rods somewhere." So I began my search for them. That's the problem when you have too much fishing stuff; you can't remember where it all is or even what you have anymore. Anyway, I did come up with a few Star surf rods out of a pile of older mothballed rods I have.  The older ones are made in USA but I couldn't come up with a model number. They are rated 1 to 3 ounces and are 8 footers. I remember the rods well and I used them for plugging stripers with great great success. They are probably in the range of 20 years old. I also found a brand new, unused 8 foot Stellar model, rated 1 to 3 ounces. It has a faster action than the older Star rods that I actually used. I can't remember where or when I got the rod but I'm certain It was aquired at a sale price and that's why I put it away with the plastic and hang tags still on the rod. I never could pass up a good deal, even if I have no immediate need for it.  Knowing myself, and how I fish, I bought the rod to throw 1 to 1.5 ounce lures. I just took the rod out and played with it a bit. I can tell just from handling it the way I did that its a better plugging rod than the older, softer Star rods I used to use. I'm pretty sure the 8' Stellar will serve you well for what you want it for. Thats what I bought mine for and even though I havent actually used it, yet, I know it will work well  when I do  put it into my rotation. Thanks for starting this thread; I feel like I just found some buried treasure. Cheers. 

Thanks for the replies. I’ll check some shops in Florida when I get back there. Perhaps someone has them in stock.

Any other manufacturer that produces one piece eight foot surf rods.Trying to stay around $200.

Dennis

On 9/7/2019 at 5:21 PM, valentine said:

When I read this thread I said to myself "I think I have a couple of Star rods somewhere." So I began my search for them. T.....

If you ever decide to put them for sale in BTS forum, send me a PM, please.

:howdy: 

46 mins ago, Popasilov said:

If you ever decide to put them for sale in BTS forum, send me a PM, please.

:howdy: 

Will do Popasilov and thank you for your interest. I  really do have to start thinking about cleaning out some gear. Like lots of guys here, I have more than is practical. Maybe, after the fall I'll take inventory and let some of my unused stuff go. 

On 9/7/2019 at 3:18 PM, Sandbar1 said:

Stellar lite is an excellent rod for the money

Howdy mate!  :howdy:

Do you have a Stellar?  I'm wondering how that line might work for an albie stick.  Tossing maybe 0.5 to 1.5 oz or so.

I fish the star stellar light 7 foot, medium heavy, throws .5 to 1.5 ounce. Nice rod for the buck. I also have a one piece 8 foot shimano  tms80h throws .5 to 2 ounce, similar price to the star rod but much softer tip. Of the 2 I prefer the star with the stiffer tip

I bought some star stellar lite surf rods, all one piece. I love them. The 8' 1 piece is phenomenal. I put a 5500 slammer on it and it casts 2 oz spoons like a beast. The slammer is a bit heavy though. I also have 2 7' 1 piece stellars and one VPR 8' 1 piece. All great rods. The vpr is lighter but stiffer. I like em all though. They take a beating and the guide rings don't seem to pop out, a problem I've always had with cheap rods. Can't wait to try a paraflex. The stellar lites are a great bargain IMO. Best rods I've ever had.

I used to like star rods but in the past 2 years I have snapped 4 in half. I don’t trust the blanks anymore, I’d recommend something different. My last one snapped casting a sluggo

1 hour ago, Voo31 said:

I used to like star rods but in the past 2 years I have snapped 4 in half. I don’t trust the blanks anymore, I’d recommend something different. My last one snapped casting a sluggo

Wow, how are you snapping them? I've only had one spinning rod snap in my life and it was totally my fault, trying to fling a way to heavy fish up over the rail at the jetty. I've been flinging good size blues, spanish and pompano up over the rails with these rods no prob. Also hook huge reds, snook, sharks, and stingrays (lots of dead weight) with no problems.  They have a good warranty, no?

1 hour ago, SilverSpoonSurfer said:

Wow, how are you snapping them? I've only had one spinning rod snap in my life and it was totally my fault, trying to fling a way to heavy fish up over the rail at the jetty. I've been flinging good size blues, spanish and pompano up over the rails with these rods no prob. Also hook huge reds, snook, sharks, and stingrays (lots of dead weight) with no problems.  They have a good warranty, no?

Warranty is good but it’s such a hassle as I’m fishing in remote places. They all snapped casting light lures, way under the listed max. Switched to building my own rods from GSB blanks now and haven’t had a problem. It’s too bad, the star rods seemed nice and affordable