ASrod

September 2019

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I appreciate these monthly reports, so here's my contribution:

Fished an inlet to a salt pond, middle bay, western shore for a couple hours this morning.

Lots of silversides around.  Fish were feeding but it was far from a blitz.  Got three or four short stripers, the first and largest of which on a tiny spook, the rest on a gold spoon.  Good fun on ultralight gear.   Also got a cute little speckled trout and an 11" perch on a soft plastic jerkshad. 

On 9/11/2019 at 3:15 PM, mathman said:

I appreciate these monthly reports, so here's my contribution:

Fished an inlet to a salt pond, middle bay, western shore for a couple hours this morning.

Lots of silversides around.  Fish were feeding but it was far from a blitz.  Got three or four short stripers, the first and largest of which on a tiny spook, the rest on a gold spoon.  Good fun on ultralight gear.   Also got a cute little speckled trout and an 11" perch on a soft plastic jerkshad. 

Nice. I’ll be heading out tonight to give my new surf rod a try.

Got out as well at the mouth of a mid-bay tributary, caught about 20 striper, most in the 15-17" range, with a few in the 18-20" range. Fishing is much better than it was this time last year for us kayak fisherman. 

15-20” fish just about every cast on a 2 3/8” Super Strike sinking popper. A fat 22” and a 21” on live spot.

Small blues and small stripers were blitzing everywhere from about 5pm until dark. It seems to be picking up depending on the tide.

E70FD0DD-1FA7-45DD-8F4A-7BFD76E669B7.jpeg

E83CEC56-83EE-4E56-9A70-074FD972BF67.jpeg

16 hours ago, ASrod said:

15-20” fish just about every cast on a 2 3/8” Super Strike sinking popper. A fat 22” and a 21” on live spot.

Small blues and small stripers were blitzing everywhere from about 5pm until dark. It seems to be picking up depending on the tide.

E70FD0DD-1FA7-45DD-8F4A-7BFD76E669B7.jpeg

E83CEC56-83EE-4E56-9A70-074FD972BF67.jpeg

you need a measuring tape, that is a 12" fish seeing how the popper is only 5.25"

39 mins ago, kurazy kracka said:

you need a measuring tape, that is a 12" fish seeing how the popper is only 5.25"

It was the first fish I got on that plug all night around 16”. It was one of the smaller fish of the night but I wanted to document my first fish on that particular lure. :)

Well the topwater bite for the last few days has been insane for Chesapeake bay standards. Stripers and blues just about every cast with SS poppers and Cotton Cordell pencils. How’s everybody else doing?

6 mins ago, ASrod said:

Well the topwater bite for the last few days has been insane for Chesapeake bay standards. Stripers and blues just about every cast with SS poppers and Cotton Cordell pencils. How’s everybody else doing?

Looking to hit some topwater tomorrow trying out my 6in tsunami talkin popper will update if anything happens

13 hours ago, kombi_rs said:

Looking to hit some topwater tomorrow trying out my 6in tsunami talkin popper will update if anything happens

The bite from about 5:30 until dark has been great so I’m sure you’ll get a good amount of fish on that talkin popper. I need to find the time to try out first light.

It was pretty windy today. Plenty of stripers but the blues were in pretty good. Several up to 15 inches which is a massive improvement to the last few weeks. Hopefully the fishing will keep getting better and better.