Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishnbear

Stake Out Pole For Freshwater

5 posts in this topic

Some of my favorite freshwater spots have areas that are super weedy so I'm routinely pulling the drive and rudder and paddling my Outback. Never used a stake out pole but might give it a try to help hold position in wind/ current. Depth would vary but usually less 8'. Saw someone DIY a telescoping pole from a golf ball retriever that went to 10'. If you use a pole, have any suggestions, I'd welcome any info. Also, if you use a pole are you tying it directly to the yak or just let the wind push you against it.

Thx T

I’ve used poles and now just use a dumbbell as an anchor. The poles are fine just not my ideal thought for me. The placement fishing current is if you’d like the bow of the anchor into the wind or current the pole was always in my front quarter side. I’m right handed and it would be in my way of a cast at times. By going to an anchor I eliminated the above the water line obstacle. 

The pole you’d have a lease off of it and using an anchor trolley you’re able to adjust the kayaks placement from wind or current. Some just use a scupper hole to place the anchor, for me that seems like a stress point to the kayak, plus the constant up and down of the kayak against the pole will wear the area out. It really just depends on the amount of current or wind you have. 

Now i have seen and you could make a anchor slide to the side of your kayak. It’s nothing more than a piece of pvc pipe, attached in a way to attach it to your kayak. It could be a ram mount or homemade mount like a motor mount. The short section pipe would be vertical mounted and the pole is pushed through and into the bottom of the area you’re fishing. Another way to go about this is using a track which is mounted to your kayak you have something that comes off it and sticks out beyond the outer edge of the kayak holding the pipe section. 

Hope that makes a bit of sense. 

I do shallow, weedy, fresh water trips from time to time.... some guys spend like 80 bucks on these stupid poles :dismay:

i made this pole at the shop out of a section of 5/8 dia tubing, some plastic for an end cap & a solid alum point turned on the lathe & pressed in to the end of the tube....

end.jpg.c328e5ba3ca42afc1c41967576523c85.jpg.63568a6ab2992706b31744222eed9228.jpg.e95813e46f56634f18a8bc25140f1d9a.jpg

pole.jpg.6acc2e883a38d1422bdf01d08a73800b.jpg.7a71c909161653d157e08f06a2df6ea0.jpg.592922f23c949c6e6818a0b6e69836e0.jpg

Some time after i made this i heard of an idea using an 8' fiberglass tree stake from lowes, etc..... great idea! :th:I would have used that instead of making something had i knew before hand..... oh well.:why:

On the one i made I attached a section of cord about  2 or 3 ft onto a sliding collar which slides up & down the pole freely…......

Like mentioned, some guys just stick the pole through the trolley connecting ring or a scupper….. tried that but found now I have this long pole right next to me to deal with, it was always in my way casting, playing a fish, etc. so that didn’t work for me, not only that but when I want to move I have to pull the pole entirely out of the trolley connecting ring & store it….

The cord & sliding collar allows me to get the pole out, away from the boat and out of my way, I also find I have better positional adjustments having my anchoring point a little bit away from me….I can also reach down up past my elbow in some deeper water & still stick the bottom without being restricted to the depth the trolley allows me…..

The collar also allows the cord to be positioned anywhere on the pole I choose so if I’m only in 2’ or 3’ of water the cord is slid down to water level … when I want to move I slide the pole up thru the collar, drop it in its holder & go….

To hold the pole on the kayak I attached 2 paddle clips on the trolley side for quick & easy deployment…

Hope that helps, Best Regards….