Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JasperKayak

Kayak fly fishing

14 posts in this topic

The guy I mainly fish with is a hardcore saltwater fly fisherman and of course a little rubbed off on me I’ve tried on my kayak but it seems I’m always getting fowled up with something in my kayak. I predominately use my Hobie it’s a 16’ revolution so you know how tight that cockpit is are there any tricks to make this easier cause hooking up to a blue or stripper is something you got to try especially if it’s on a fly you tied. The only advice I got was to blanket the cockpit area with a very fine net . It’s loads of fun but can get very frustrating. So give me any suggestions you got 

Compliments on your choice of Hobie JK....same here.  

I'd suggest instead of a net maybe try a small towel.   Good luck...it ain't easy.    

I think I saw this in another thread and liked your idea but I gotta believe it's got to be a ladies day to work un-feather'd.   A  wisp of wind, a slight chop and that rig looks like it's all done.   

1 hour ago, flylikabird said:

I think I saw this in another thread and liked your idea but I gotta believe it's got to be a ladies day to work un-feather'd.   A  wisp of wind, a slight chop and that rig looks like it's all done.   

The whole tub stayed above the water line. I didn’t have any problem with any waves, of course I wasn’t exactly going through surf with this attached. When I needed to move a great distance it just flipped up in my lap or I took it off. Very easy to remove with two plastic snaps. 

Get used to being frustrated, lol. 

I fish from the same kayak.

I'll use a small collapsible tub with zip ties as fingers to keep the line from bunching up. I just put it on top of the circle hatch. I can get small strips in, if I want longer I'll just put the line in the water. Or just troll

57 mins ago, Hacker said:

just troll

Yup, just a short cast and then let your sinking line out as you move forward. You won't need very much line out, just hang on for a solid strike and then game on.

1 hour ago, Hacker said:

Or just troll

... sacrilege!!!!!!!!!!!! ... no self respecting fly fisher ever does that ......

.... admit to doing it I mean :wee:

I use a collapsible colander as a basket. Easy to store and fits perfectly between my legs if sitting (most of the time in saltwater). If I'm standing or kneeling, I have a bungee I wrap around myself like a belt. Not full proof and does not 100% fix the problem, but definitely helps. A lot of gear and stuff for line to wrap around. And of course, in my experience, it usually happens when you hook up!

A picture of your cockpit  set-up would be helpful . Personally, I'm in the "don't mount anything anywhere near I'll be dumping my line" club myself.  That said, a home spun stripping basket is likely your best option after the fact.

First thing I do with any mirage drive is take off the pedal straps and cut the ears for them off. That takes care of about 50% of the problems. Make sure the t-handles are tucked away and your pedal bungee hook is under your seat and clear. Then try to keep your line in tight to you instead of being allowed to shoot out towards the drive and you should be good.