Inshore/ offshore fly fishing

Rate this topic

BillyD0123

Launching at Weaver Cove Middletown next week early morning after the weather gets better. 22' CC solo. Am I wasting my time going out off Newport looking for top water action? I was hoping to look for birds with anything catchable feeding under them. Some advice says there's nothing to be had & I should go to South Cape/ MV, but there must be something right?

3 hours ago, BillyD0123 said:

Launching at Weaver Cove Middletown next week early morning after the weather gets better. 22' CC solo. Am I wasting my time going out off Newport looking for top water action? I was hoping to look for birds with anything catchable feeding under them. Some advice says there's nothing to be had & I should go to South Cape/ MV, but there must be something right?

I'm fishing out front this Sunday (with a guide) ... I'll let you know. The Rhody report here at SOL says there are fish to be had. It's that time of year and with the hurricane passing ... it's bound to be good.

RockfishOn!! :cool:

7 mins ago, KironaFly said:

I'm fishing out front this Sunday (with a guide) ... I'll let you know. The Rhody report here at SOL says there are fish to be had. It's that time of year and with the hurricane passing ... it's bound to be good.

Thanks pal. One time years ago when I was there, SBFT were crashing the baitfish just a mile off shore. thanks for the heads up this weekend. I'm trying flies for that trip as we speak.

Just now, BillyD0123 said:

Thanks pal. One time years ago when I was there, SBFT were crashing the baitfish just a mile off shore. thanks for the heads up this weekend. I'm trying flies for that trip as we speak.

My guide does fish for tuna, though this trip will be around Brenton Reef I expect. I'll ask him about the tunas / pelagics.

4 hours ago, BillyD0123 said:

Launching at Weaver Cove Middletown next week early morning after the weather gets better. 22' CC solo. Am I wasting my time going out to Newport?

Yes and No !

You're wasting your time if you launch at Melville, Weaver Cove. That ramp has serious problems and issues that needs to be addressed.  Low tide is really a problem there with silted sand. Best bet is Fort Adams, Newport. That will save you a 7 or 8 mile run from Melville, gets you to the fishing grounds just  around the corner. 

Newport has it's share of a few hardtails right now, plus stripers and bluefish. Expect the first big push of albies any day now. What could interrupt it is Tropical storm Damian.

Nothing flies by me without a hook!
If my fly is down, That's a good thing.

Public Access.....It's a shore thing. My daily requirement of "Vitamin Sea".

Capt. Ray Stachelek

:agree:

This is good advice ... the better ramp in Portsmouth is by Portsmouth Abbey. Almost brand new at the old Alcola plant (now condos).

Ft Adams is the place to launch if you're going "out front" .

21 hours ago, BillyD0123 said:

19 mins ago, KironaFly said:

:agree:

This is good advice ... the better ramp in Portsmouth is by Portsmouth Abbey. Almost brand new at the old Alcola plant (now condos).

Ft Adams is the place to launch if you're going "out front" .

I'll give them a drive by, thanks for the advice on both. I like weaver because it's also convenient to the bay too, and never busy so no chance of A-Hole ramp rage breaking out like at high volume ramps.  If its snooty out front I can tool around the bay for schoolies. Go on the hook and grill lunch etc...

32 mins ago, BillyD0123 said:

I'll give them a drive by, thanks for the advice on both. I like weaver because it's also convenient to the bay too, and never busy so no chance of A-Hole ramp rage breaking out like at high volume ramps.  If its snooty out front I can tool around the bay for schoolies. Go on the hook and grill lunch etc...

The boat ramp we launched out of (guide's 27 ft boat) is called Carnegie Abby off of (at the end of) Willow lane, Portsmouth RI. So a few miles north of Melville. Ft Adams does get busy. 

Good luck in your fishing!

• 3 weeks later...

Beautiful Saturday morning. Launched at Weaver Cove. Ran straight out a few miles then over to Point Jude. Then immediately back off Newport a few miles or more. Got ambushed by a pod  of 100 maybe 200 Dolphins.  They were feeding aggressively on something  no signed of bait fish or gulls overhead. Looked deep into the clear water the was what I thought was shredded remains of jellyfish or maybe digested squid Dolphin poop. Anyway, I hung out with the pod for 30 minutes. Some swam over and buzzed my boat. A few stopped on my port side and popped their heads up to see who was on my boat. Other than that, my morning was uneventful.