bob_G

An old classic reel

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Thanks. Have never had a Luxor/Crack 300 in hand despite being a saltwater fisherman since the early 60s.  Is the only differences between the stock and distance spools the diameter and profile of the top lip?

Also appreciate the explanation of the knurled ring that keeps the handle from rotating during casting.

11 mins ago, carbon12 said:

Thanks. Have never had a Luxor/Crack 300 in hand despite being a saltwater fisherman since the early 60s.  Is the only differences between the stock and distance spools the diameter and profile of the top lip?

Also appreciate the explanation of the knurled ring that keeps the handle from rotating during casting.

That, and the color are the only differences I see. As far as having a big Luxor in hand; I don't fish them these days but turning the handle, to feel and hear the reel and anti reverse, and the turning the spool to hear the drag is somehow therapeutic. Not as therapeutic as hearing the drag when a big blue or striper is on the line, but these are some impressive reels. I started chasing stripers in the early 60s too (my avatar pic is my first keeper in  1968, boy was I psyched!) , and when I got my first Crack 200 (smaller brother to the big Luxor) I was hooked, especially after all my bad experiences blowing up Mitchell reels on big fish... Later on found my first Crack 300 at a yard sale for $10.

Edited by cbchurch