bob_G

An old classic reel

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

1 min ago, FishRatz said:

This must be a smaller model of the dedicated bailess design.

 

 

screengrab-20190907-073913.jpg

screengrab-20190907-074011.jpg

That was another Luxer that was made for Brazil under the name of Paoli Rio Luxo     I would expect that reel to have some value collector wise. Some of the smaller LUxor reels went by the Crack name , never saw the two larger one other then the name Luxer printed on them At least my collection only has the name Crack on the smaller version on the type A #1 reel  This reel was made for fishing fast running rivers and mountain streams and has a retrieve rate of 28 inches  for each turn of the handle.You show the reel above as being with a hand pick up , given the way the roller is mounted that is how it was made . The smaller A #1 reel was made with an automatic bail and that was how they designed it . The larger models could be converted to manual bail it one wanted to do so . 

 

The larger model shown by Bob was once the go to reel for the canal and those who fished for striped bass . The reel was designed for very big pike, salmon and salt water fishing. The Middle version Luxor is an intermediate model , especially designed for salmon and sea fishing when the Luxor -Mer is not needed. Some of the above information comes from the printed documents that come in the box when you purchase these reels . Luxor made different models during the years some even with different names, how ever they were all made in France to my knowledge and made with lasting in mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

….. 

 

Joe his name was Dave Anderson while I am thinking of it.

 

Ah yes, I do recall that name, Carl.  No doubt I met him at some point years ago.

 

Info has it, he was the Managing Editor at that fishing publication from 2007- 2010.  Among other things, he is currently associated with another fishing publication.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, FishRatz said:

Just saw a nice bail_less model of this Luxor on eBay.

I guess there were 2 models, one with bail and without.

 

My first Luxor was a gift from an old Canal Rat who went by the name of Edson Worcester and that is the reel that bob shows above, with out the bail attached. He was a instructor in my work shop back in another time that tought fishing for free to the general public in and around Brockton and Boston . He had a whole collection of them that needed repair and cleaning . Back then Luxor only had a few places that were certified to repair them here in Massachusetts and he was telling me that it cost an arm and a leg to redo them so he never had it done. I offered to clean and repair those that needed it at the time and he gives me some 7 or 8 reels in a bag to take care of for him at no charge   After I had them all up and running and lubes up I give it all back to him at one of seminars we were doing together at that time and after we show the class this classic reel he asked me how much I needed to do all of them and As I had told him early on No charge. Well he offered to give me the one I now have in my collection with out the bail arm I could not refuse . He was a happy camper to get them all back in working order and i am happy to share this story about a man who spent many hours early on fishing the Cape Cod .Canal and once also put on Game suppers for many of the sportsman clubs at that time. Where snapping turtles were a featured part of his wild game suppers, along with other four legged animals he trapped or pick up along the road ways as road kill.  Thanks for the memories. You to Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FishRatz said:

This must be a smaller model of the dedicated bailess design.

 

 

screengrab-20190907-073913.jpg

screengrab-20190907-074011.jpg

Fishratz,

Sorry I must have misunderstood. I didn't know you were talking about an entirely different model? I was just be referring to the one in my photo. My dad and I fished that model for years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

caught my first canal bass using one of these 60 years ago.  30 odd years later my son caught his first canal bass on the same reel.  It still works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 mins ago, carbon12 said:

As classic spinners, how does the Luxor/Crack 300 compare to the Penn 706?

I owned and fished both. Both were great reels for their time. The Luxor was notoriously slow.  My dad and I found the drag on the Luxor to be only fair. We we're always tweaking it with leather washers trying to give it more latitude.  The Penn definitely had the superior drag. Both were classic workhorses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, bob_G said:

I owned and fished both. Both were great reels for their time. The Luxor was notoriously slow.  My dad and I found the drag on the Luxor to be only fair. We we're always tweaking it with leather washers trying to give it more latitude.  The Penn definitely had the superior drag. Both were classic workhorses.

One thing about both reels if you had any mechanical ability at all you could repair these reels , unlike many of the reels being manufactured today with hardware that needs a magnifying glass to see . The old leather washers were always a challenge to repair and they could be retrofitted with some metal washers if you could find the right combination as the pack was compressed. Irregardless you still did not have as much of a range as the Penns of the same time period.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, bob_G said:

 I owned and fished both. Both were great reels for their time. The Luxor was notoriously slow.  My dad and I found the drag on the Luxor to be only fair. We we're always tweaking it with leather washers trying to give it more latitude.  The Penn definitely had the superior drag. Both were classic workhorses.

Agree about the Luxor drag.  These weren't the reels for fighting a cow in the canal current

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have 3 models of the old LUXOR spinning reels. The largest, called Mer de Salmon, I used for surf fishing. The mid-size was called the Seven Seas. The smallest, Luxor No. 1.

I purchased 5 of the latter at the old Raymonds in Boston when they were on sale for $7.50

Still use them in fresh water and for mackerel.

 

Also have several Alcedo reels, both small and medium. I was able to obtain the rubber bail stops, which tend to deteriorate with time. The medium version makes a good school striper reel if it’s properly maintained.

 

Years ago, I was able to obtain 2 of the newer medium ALCEDO reels, to assess, from the US distributor- the now defunct LOMBARDS in Nanuet NY. They were an outstanding supplier of tackle and Franchi shotguns.

I don't believe those newer ALCEDOS ever reached the market. They remain in my collection used once. Grandkids will inherit  them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2019 at 9:58 AM, Angler #1 said:

My first Luxor was a gift from an old Canal Rat who went by the name of Edson Worcester and that is the reel that bob shows above, with out the bail attached. He was a instructor in my work shop back in another time that tought fishing for free to the general public in and around Brockton and Boston . He had a whole collection of them that needed repair and cleaning . Back then Luxor only had a few places that were certified to repair them here in Massachusetts and he was telling me that it cost an arm and a leg to redo them so he never had it done. I offered to clean and repair those that needed it at the time and he gives me some 7 or 8 reels in a bag to take care of for him at no charge   After I had them all up and running and lubes up I give it all back to him at one of seminars we were doing together at that time and after we show the class this classic reel he asked me how much I needed to do all of them and As I had told him early on No charge. Well he offered to give me the one I now have in my collection with out the bail arm I could not refuse . He was a happy camper to get them all back in working order and i am happy to share this story about a man who spent many hours early on fishing the Cape Cod .Canal and once also put on Game suppers for many of the sportsman clubs at that time. Where snapping turtles were a featured part of his wild game suppers, along with other four legged animals he trapped or pick up along the road ways as road kill.  Thanks for the memories. You to Bob

Great read. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

One of my big Luxors is a "Surfcaster" mod. I lived on Long Island at the time, and got out to Montauk every chance I could. This was the go to reel out there at the time, usually electric taped to the cork tape butt of a Lami 01165. I took a drive up to CT back in the 80s and dropped this reel with Bill Preisenberger, who started The Surfcaster. Picked up a Kennedy Fisher blank while I was at his shop, which if I remember correctly, was a separate building in his back yard. The bail hole opposite the roller is filled in, and the rotor is drilled out. I don't remember what else he did to it. His early catalogs show the service, as well as custom spools for the reel. The stock spools had a problem of occasionally separating into two pieces when stretched mono was reeled in too tight. I'll scan the old catalogs and post those pages later tonight. I'm pretty sure he was responsible for getting the Van Staal ball rolling (with Rob Kowelyn no doubt) , starting first with his spools, and then the early VS reels. Still an amazing reel, I didn't use it much once I got a few 706s. I also have 4 or 5 of the Crack / Luxor mid size, which we always called the 200, as well as a number of the smallest luxors. The 200 is a great reel; my main problem with it is the very noisy anti reverse. Size is somewhere between VS 150 and VS 200. I'm going to get some fish with one this fall, just for old time's sake. 

 

I also have a distance spool for the 300, which I've only seen once, and it was given to me by an old timer in the Farragut Club when I was on LI; the infamous George Wade. I'll get pics up later tonight.

 

By the way; the Luxor spools I have are all drilled out stock, and the Crack 300 spools aren't.  Another interesting feature is the knurled metal and rubber thing on the handle. You'd twist it backwards to tighten up the handle and keep the reel from rotating during the cast. After the cast, turning the handle loosened it up. 

 

My modded 300 Luxor:

 

5d504f6f44f90_luxor01.jpg.748568577c621270a8104bd91f222931.jpg.6d2f9f01c5b7bc09fa7f70645c486944.jpg5d504f8093e6b_Luxor02.jpg.b38f51fd4fd216efeb7bcc853eea2a9a.jpg.b15f6c3f363faa2344e4ddba40b2cb67.jpg

 

Steve T

 

 

 

 

Edited by cbchurch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2019 at 3:07 PM, cbchurch said:

One of my big Luxors is a "Surfcaster" mod. I lived on Long Island at the time, and got out to Montauk every chance I could. This was the go to reel out there at the time, usually electric taped to the cork tape butt of a Lami 01165. I took a drive up to CT back in the 80s and dropped this reel with Bill Preisenberger, who started The Surfcaster. Picked up a Kennedy Fisher blank while I was at his shop, which if I remember correctly, was a separate building in his back yard. The bail hole opposite the roller is filled in, and the rotor is drilled out. I don't remember what else he did to it. His early catalogs show the service, as well as custom spools for the reel. The stock spools had a problem of occasionally separating into two pieces when stretched mono was reeled in too tight. I'll scan the old catalogs and post those pages later tonight. I'm pretty sure he was responsible for getting the Van Staal ball rolling (with Rob Kowelyn no doubt) , starting first with his spools, and then the early VS reels. Still an amazing reel, I didn't use it much once I got a few 706s. I also have 4 or 5 of the Crack / Luxor mid size, which we always called the 200, as well as a number of the smallest luxors. The 200 is a great reel; my main problem with it is the very noisy anti reverse. Size is somewhere between VS 150 and VS 200. I'm going to get some fish with one this fall, just for old time's sake. 

 

I also have a distance spool for the 300, which I've only seen once, and it was given to me by an old timer in the Farragut Club when I was on LI; the infamous George Wade. I'll get pics up later tonight.

 

By the way; the Luxor spools I have are all drilled out stock, and the Crack 300 spools aren't.  Another interesting feature is the knurled metal and rubber thing on the handle. You'd twist it backwards to tighten up the handle and keep the reel from rotating during the cast. After the cast, turning the handle loosened it up. 

 

My modded 300 Luxor:

 

5d504f6f44f90_luxor01.jpg.748568577c621270a8104bd91f222931.jpg.6d2f9f01c5b7bc09fa7f70645c486944.jpg5d504f8093e6b_Luxor02.jpg.b38f51fd4fd216efeb7bcc853eea2a9a.jpg.b15f6c3f363faa2344e4ddba40b2cb67.jpg

 

Steve T

 

 

 

 

Interested in seeing the pic the 'distance spool' if you can post it.  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.