bob_G

An old classic reel

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

These used to be a hot reel back in the day. This was the big Luxor, made in France. This reel belonged to my friend's dad. Probably 60 years old, and almost pristine. 

I used to own 2 of these, but my dad made me sell them for $7 each. :(

IMG_20190906_102407.jpg

IMG_20190906_102443.jpg

Still have one and occasionally use it just for fun

Like fishing with a Sherman Tank

I have one of the earlier models.  It has no model number on it.

Interesting is how they prevented the line from slipping under the spool and fouling on the shaft.

Sold with the reel was a small packet that contained a fuzzy wire. 

The instruction on the packet reads as follows:

" To insert fuzzy wire on the spool  to prevent line from slipping under the spool and fouling on the shaft, insert one end in small hole drilled in groove of the spool, wind wire tightly around spool making sure wire lays in groove, then insert other end in second hole, twist both ends together and bend to prevent slipping out."  

Leave it to the French......even the color of the fuzzy coating on the wire was green to complement the color of the reel.  

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

These used to be a hot reel back in the day. This was the big Luxor, made in France. This reel belonged to my friend's dad. Probably 60 years old, and almost pristine. 

Bob, reels were made in 6 versions from 1940-1967. 

Excellent background info on these reels if you'd like to cut and paste it can be found in the Tackle Collectors forum.....Pezon & Michel Luxor thread....dated 5/1/09.   

2 hours ago, Joe G said:

Bob, reels were made in 6 versions from 1940-1967. 

Excellent background info on these reels if you'd like to cut and paste it can be found in the Tackle Collectors forum.....Pezon & Michel Luxor thread....dated 5/1/09.   

In three sizes and also the beginning of the Michel reel 300 and 302 along with other models of Mitchels. 

The large Luxer reel had the largest diameter spool ever made being 3 inches in diameter The line left that reel like no other. I still have mine set up with the way we would line the reel for long distant casting . 14 pound Stren and a 50 pound shocker with three turns on the spool . I had it matched up with a Lami Super cutter 12 feet my longest cast on a marked field with a long distant weight 5 . something ounces was over 600 feet. That was using the pendulum cast . Lots of daily practice made it possible . We never entered the Stren long distant casting event, although we qualified to do so at the field trials held of 151 in Falmouth in another time. My friend Bob Small and I both qualified , but we decided that was not how we would be actually fishing , so we went fishing that day instead of further competing against My long time friend Ron Arra who won the match and then later became world champ in the long distant world at that time. 

Joe his name was Dave Anderson while I am thinking of it.

I love using all sorts of vintage gear, mostly fresh. But I got a collection of salt gear growing. I like how easy it is to service the reels, no plastic, repair some metal by polishing, ect.

Then to go catch and fight a fish..time warp style!

Mitchell reels have that cool sound and feel.

For salt rods I have a Sabre chocolate 7 ft spin and a custom Roddy and Garcia Conolons.

eBay is full of quality new old stock items! Built to last many lifetimes!

Posted (edited) · Report post

32 mins ago, FishRatz said:

Just saw a nice bail_less model of this Luxor on eBay.

I guess there were 2 models, one with bail and without.

No, they only made one model. However the reel was well designed. Luxor manufactured the reel so the bail could be readily removed. 

I removed the bails on both of mine. All you had to do was unscrewed the threaded knob which held the bail to the housing. If you look closely at my photo you can see it. Remove that end of the bail. Then it was a simple matter of unscrewing the bail from the line roller arm. Once removed, you were left with a perfect manual pickup.  

Before they went out of business the reel was no longer manufactured under the name Luxor. The new name was Crack. Same reel, but if I recall only a different color.

Edited by bob_G

Luxor also made 2 other reels. They made a slightly smaller saltwater reel called the Seven Seas. I owned 2 of those. Like it's big brother, it was built like a tank. Also like it's big brother, it was notoriously slow. The drag was only so so. I still have one that DJ gave me years ago.

Luxor also made a cool freshwater reel. When I was a kid the next door neighbor had one. The story was, he bought it in France while in the Navy right after WW II. They were as rare as hen's teeth. I never saw one for sale anywhere.

I remember reading of these reels in the Long Island Press (no relation to the current publication of that name) in the 1960s, in Frank Keating's fishing column.

Time does pass, does it not?