Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NaturalScience

Recommendations for Virginia beach

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Heading down to Virginia beach this coming week. Staying on the strip in the tourist area. This is my first visit to the area.

I originally didn't have much on the way of fishing planned but as the time draws near I'm kinda thinking I gotta try a few times. Gonna bring a variety of rods but not any real surf stuff. Might bring the 8', probably just a 7' though. 

Do you guys have any basic information about parks, piers, etc. 

As far as boats go, are the head boats worth considering? Not really a lot of info and they seem to target pretty basic species like croaker.  I've never fished for them but I'm thinking its about the equivalent of a scup trip up here. Meh.

Any charter recommendations, walk on/split charter will be necessary.  I don't think I'm looking for off shore but I guess it would be a consideration. 

Thank you all for any help.

I know there are a bunch of charter boats that specialize in sight casting for cobia out of VA beach, and man do they clean up. However, it's become common practice that they put the mate and/or captain in the cobia tower, spot and cast to the fish, then once they're sure the hookset is strong, they hand the client the rod. This is a dealbreaker for me, and I know many won't break the policy despite how good of an angler their client may be. If you call around to a few, just ask if that's their policy, and check their IG or FB pages for current pics/reports. It might be worth going out on one regardless just for the excitement of boating a big cobia, and probably some spanish mackerel too. 

VBFPier rumored to have produced king mackerel this summer, RudeInlet for basic species, Sandbridge, & BBNWR for possible red, cobra, rays, shark, Spanish mackerel & basic species. Marinas for last minute charter walk in. Have fun!

So far we've given it a go at rudee inlet and  first landing.

No bites for me slinging jig and plastic.

Some people pulling in spot and croaker at the inlet, which I imagine is pretty much par for the course.

The beach over at the park gave us a pretty cool dolphin show, as they were actively playing.

There were some nice schools of fish swimming around. No idea what they were. Bunker maybe? Anyway, again no bites.

The park is really nice. Hung out at the beach for a while and did some hiking around the trails. A great suggestion, thank you.

The inshore boat fishing has been pretty dead and I have to say the captain's were really good about it. The few I talked to about doing a trip were up front about it. Said offshore is good but inshore I'd mostly be wasting time right now. 

Thanks for the help guys. It's really beautiful here and I plan on coming back with the intent of fishing quite a bit. 

Hit the VB Pier today. 

About a half dozen sharks made their way on to and back off of the pier.

Blueish and Spanish mackerel made a pretty good showing, 3 to 5 of both for about half a dozen people over maybe an hour. Action could've continued but we had to bail.