Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bstriping

Labor Day Report

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Made it down to Avon Sun Morning about 11am. Went to get 2 20 lbs bag of ice and beer and some grub to last me through Tuesday. Now off to soundside access ramp outside of Avon. Got yak set up, had a couple cold ones and time to fish. Went right to the spot I was 2 weeks prior and specs were still there. Little choppy as winds were out of the east blowing around 15mph but very doable. Finished with 8 specs, all keeper size. All released as I had no room till Monday and trout don't keep that well unless you eat them right away. 

20190901_134103.jpg

20190901_135225.jpg

20190901_141647.jpg

Edited by bstriping

Posted (edited) · Report post

Monday decided to try a new location north of Avon. Got out on the water by 7am and was greeted by lightning about 20 mins in. So didn't get to where I wanted to get to but worked on area that should have had something in it but didn't. Rains came, got out of the water. Grabbed some breakfast and got a text at 830 that my room was ready in Buxton. So off to Buxton to unload some stuff and wait till storms clear. Took a good chunk of the day but finally made it out on the water by 1. And let me tell ya the bite was insane. Winds had lightened to 5-10 conditions for yaking were perfect. Had nonstop action with specs and pups until the sun went down with a few blues in the mix. Went back to the room and sat on the porch with some cold ones and a few cigars and called it a night. Got the evacuation order for visitors when I woke up beginning at noon. Was gonna take the yak out for a few hours but thought it would be best if I just left and got out of the way of the locals trying to prepare for Dorian.

20190902_152007.jpg

20190902_152631.jpg

20190902_161753.jpg

20190902_162337.jpg

Edited by bstriping

Sounds like the fish had an idea that something was coming and got their feed bag on.  With no idea about you being there too!  Sounds like a fun mini vacation.

Hope everyone that rode it out are doing fine.  

Congrats on an awesome - if short - trip.  Would you mind sharing what lures worked best and what type of habitat you targeted in the yak?  Dropoffs? Creek outflows?  Grass?  Thanks! 

On 9/6/2019 at 1:08 PM, Sandbox said:

Congrats on an awesome - if short - trip.  Would you mind sharing what lures worked best and what type of habitat you targeted in the yak?  Dropoffs? Creek outflows?  Grass?  Thanks! 

The jig you see in the picture is what I used the whole time. Had popping corks with me, but didn't see any reason to change things up. No creek outflows. Was fishing in 3-8ft of water drifting through weed beds and clear water. Fish were hanging on the weed edges. Just easy common-sense fishing:hooked: