FishermanTim

worst braid you have ever used?

60 posts in this topic

For me, I used to think that Fireline and Spiderwire were bad (they're not), but alas, I've found a couple new lows this past weekend.

I tried a "bass pro" brand of braid that was "wind-knotting" something fierce. I mean I spent half my time on the water untying and untangling this crap braid.

I even lost a lure when the braid knotted itself on the first guide....WHILE I WAS CASTING....WTF?

So, after that disappointing outing I went home and re-spooled with a different braid. It was made by MUSTAD (same company that we know from their hooks)

This crap was even worse that the Bass pro garbage. It knotted on the first cast and almost every third cast I had to try to untie the knots (plural).

I've had some braids start wind-knotting on me, but never EVER fresh off the spool!

Luckily I had a spool of the "Tough-Line" I had used before, so I was able to re-spool AGAIN with a braid I trust.

The ONLY consolation in these experiences is that I only bought one spool of each...so I learned a very important lesson....stay with what you know and like , and what works!

24 mins ago, FishermanTim said:

It was made by MUSTAD (same company that we know from their hooks)

This crap was even worse that the Bass pro garbage. It knotted on the first cast and almost every third cast I had to try to untie the knots (plural).

I've tried this too, local retailer had trouble getting rid of their inventory even at $7 for a 330yd spool. Same experience as you. It also feels very different from genuine dynaema or spectra fiber and appeared to have memory almost like mono :confused:

My dad is addicted to buying crap off Wish / AliExpress, the Mustad line reminded me a lot of the cheapest braids he bought from there.

worst braid EVER is an off-brand I got off Amazon.   its called "Godline"  (no-  not kidding)   mysterious wind knots and then break-offs.   had it on the reel for one trip-   replaced it with the new Fireline and have been completely satisfied

1 hour ago, FishermanTim said:

For me, I used to think that Fireline and Spiderwire were bad (they're not), but alas, I've found a couple new lows this past weekend.

I tried a "bass pro" brand of braid that was "wind-knotting" something fierce. I mean I spent half my time on the water untying and untangling this crap braid.

I even lost a lure when the braid knotted itself on the first guide....WHILE I WAS CASTING....WTF?

So, after that disappointing outing I went home and re-spooled with a different braid. It was made by MUSTAD (same company that we know from their hooks)

I've had some braids start wind-knotting on me, but never EVER fresh off the spool!

Luckily I had a spool of the "Tough-Line" I had used before, so I was able to re-spool AGAIN with a braid I trust.

The ONLY consolation in these experiences is that I only bought one spool of each...so I learned a very important lesson....stay with what you know and like , and what works!

I had the same thing happen with the bps braid. I even had it happen with pp. Then someone suggested that all braid line needs to be machined on. Since I started doing that I have had zero issues with any braid. Though, I only use pp and PPss. 

The worst I've used is regular power pro but I've only used suffix 832 and original fireline.

Had lots of wind knots with the PP but maybe due to inexperience.

I think fireline is fused, not braid?

IMO, spiderwire is the worst I ever used.  I put it on my reel, fished with it one day , came home and stripped it from  my reel !

Posted (edited) · Report post

I don't remember the name, but I think it was the first braid Daiwa ever produced, quite a while back.  I got a promotional spool of it from a rep, and was anxious to try it.  Stuff broke very easily - nowhere near it's breaking strength, and I was using it in fresh water.  At the time, I had been using PowerPro and hadn't had any issues with it.  I was just trying something "new" because it was given to me.  Huge disappointment.  

All the best,

Glenn

Edited by cajuntec

Original power pro and spider wire stealth. Both feel like sandpaper going through your guides, they're wiry and I've had so many break offs with Original PP.

I used a lot of different braids and have found that Power Pro is by far the worst of all of them. I lost several big fish because the line separates. Not because of using bad knots or anything like that, the line breaks for no reason....Suffix and Fire Line are the best of them all.

Before you Re-Spool that braid give KVD line conditioner a try . Braid needs attention quite often . I thought Power Pro was terrible. The blue was better than the green . Have not used them both for many many years 

5CC3917B-A9DE-42C8-9500-EF41201B827C.png.2fe773507c105f25f220eee8f0e8c94d.png

Berkley Nanofil. Not technically a braid, but in the same "superline" category. Knots were a pain in the a**, abrasion resistance was nonexistent, and it fuzzed up like crazy. Did it cast? Hell yea, but it was off my spinning reel after 3 trips.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, TopwaterPete said:

Berkley Nanofil. Not technically a braid, but in the same "superline" category. Knots were a pain in the a**, abrasion resistance was nonexistent, and it fuzzed up like crazy. Did it cast? Hell yea, but it was off my spinning reel after 3 trips.

Yes, you said it perfectly about abrasion resistance. Nanofil is really horrible. I think it should get the award for worst "super line" ever. Can't really say worst braid because like you mentioned it's not really a braid but I consider it to be. I used the 8 pound on a spinning rod for bass. It worked great for the first few trips, but then soon after I was bragging about how good it was, it started to break down. It got worse and worse to the point that it would break effortlessly. It would even break on the cast! Needlessly to say I stripped it off and never used it since.

Edited by Flip n Dip

I haven't tried the BassPro braid ( thank God ) so I cant say one way or the other .

Now the Mustard lines I've had good luck . Any wind knots I can place fault on not maintaining a taught line and getting sloppy loose line lay. I'm using 15 20,30,and 40 pound on 7 different outfits. I cant really offer up any complaints .

I have one setup with Spiderwire in 30# and have had some issues fresh off the spool . However it has more or less been doing better after a fair amount of use . Only complaint is distance It wont reach out on the off times I need it to.

Now I'm a big fan of reel magic on both braids . I'm also religious when it comes to tripping the bail by hand . I also try to keep the line laying tight on the spool when no using baits with little resistance . Most times I don't have issues with wind knots more . When I do it's a rare occurrence and in most cases I'd have to lay that blame on me . I may give the KVD stuff a try too it cant hurt