Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AndyV123

Anybody use braid on the salmon river.

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I fished in the Oswego and caught a couple salmon using braid with 15lb fluoro leader. I think I caught 4 kings, and 2 brown trout as well. I was using a plug but when I went out with a guide (also using braid and fluoro), he was using some beads to imitate eggs, and then some skein (sp?) which I wanted no part of when fishing on my own. The plug was pretty inexpensive, and I was totally new to the fishery, but just casting down at the confluence of 2 sections of the river, and up by the spillway along a catwalk, I was able to catch 2 nice kings in a relatively short amount of time. 

3 hours ago, AndyV123 said:

Heading up to Pulaski this week and was wondering if anyone uses braid with a long fluorocarbon leader for salmon. 

Thanks. 

It really depends on how you plan to fish up there, but remember that braid floats for the most part, and will change the way you present eggs, foam, flies, etc to the fish. I fly fish up there for steelies and can't really say how braid works, but will say that most guys still fish mono for salmon. 12-15lb mono.

I am almost 100% fly fishing these days but I've used braid in the past with a long 12lb leader mostly float fishing.  In the winter the braid would freeze and I did not see any advantage over straight 12lb with a knot so I switched to all mono.  I have two Stratic reels which came with 2 spools each.  I keep one with braid for salt and one with mono for Pulaski and what not.

Last September was my first trip drifting eggs on a spinning setup. Was getting things in order before this trip figured I would get some suggestions. 

Thanks a lot for the advice. 

Braided mono is nice in the winter..keeps ya moving when it's freezing.  Strip and shoot across the river.

Be careful with braid and make sure you can pop off if needed.  

Some public places there are snag city.  Also, I find braid makes more of a mess with other anglers lines.

If you're in one of those places, make sure you got plenty of it.

The not so buoyant line I think would be better to get the line down where the fish are.

If fishing away from the public places,  I'd give braid a try.  

late comer, if the swivel your braid is tied to gets hung up, just how strong or tough to break is braid ? I've never tried it but have been curious about it for quite some time. or the good and the bad about it. I've been using my fly rod so far this year and got into my backing twice. My spinning outfit is 14 lb.mono to 12 lb. to . flouro for kings. Follow the rules, seeing more DEC this year.

DAQ, if you don't mind me asking, what brand/lb braid do you use ? I want to try it this year, any knots/ advise appreciated. I retired to Pulaski and for Salmon I can usually be found at the Ball Park. Easy wading and decent slots once you find them. I won't mention my favorite steelhead spots, not that they are much of a secret, just  crowded enough already and after 20 years you know them anyway. tight lines.

On 9/24/2019 at 0:16 AM, crashmaster said:

DAQ, if you don't mind me asking, what brand/lb braid do you use ? I want to try it this year, any knots/ advise appreciated. I retired to Pulaski and for Salmon I can usually be found at the Ball Park. Easy wading and decent slots once you find them. I won't mention my favorite steelhead spots, not that they are much of a secret, just  crowded enough already and after 20 years you know them anyway. tight lines.

I use Suffix or Spiderwire 10-15 lb test. I attach a short section of equal or slightly higher test mono with a double uni then rig as I would if I were using regular mono main line.