ThrowinPlugs

Keeping Hobie on roof while I'm at work?

25 posts in this topic

Ive left my outback car topped in saddles in July for full weeks atop a black truck.  I loosen my straps whenever I park and i also used my kayak nearly every day it was car topped like this.  I like to think using it helps relieve some of stress and cool off the plastic.

If you love kayaking you should love your gear and loosen the straps when you park.

30 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Thanks bud, yeah I saw that video MANY times lol. Turns out theres a slight flat spot on the side from sitting in the rack for almost 2 months, so maybe itll pop out sitting up there anyway. 

Not to hijack, but was this with wall-mounted J cradles? That's how I store my Revo and I keep wondering if there's warping but then I convince myself it's all in my head.

my outback lives on my roof rack all season since i live in a condo, no issues just try to park under  a tree or shaded area. if its extra hot i loosen the front and back straps

I don't know if I would ever leave my Hobie on the roof of my car unattended for hours or days at a time.  No worries about it getting stolen?

Nah. Only people allowed in the lot are employees. Theres cameras and nobody here is a scumbag.

Btw it was fine all day. Fishing sucked, but my yak didnt warp. Thanks everyone.

27 mins ago, GeoffT said:

I don't know if I would ever leave my Hobie on the roof of my car unattended for hours or days at a time.  No worries about it getting stolen?

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 9/9/2019 at 1:24 PM, GeoffT said:

I use a chain and master lock thru the scupper holes to my factory side rails. Also use thick bike cable lock. And since mine lives on my truck i actually have insurance on it ($50 for the year) it covers loss, stolen and damage.

Edited by Striper46

On 9/4/2019 at 10:13 AM, RobEnglish said:

I’ve left my Wilderness Radar on the roof racks few couple days at a time without any issues on my Yakima sweet roll system. 

I've left my WS T120 on the top of my RAV for the entire summer.

On 9/11/2019 at 11:07 AM, Striper46 said:

I use a chain and master lock thru the scupper holes to my factory side rails. Also use thick bike cable lock. And since mine lives on my truck i actually have insurance on it ($50 for the year) it covers loss, stolen and damage.

I use a vinyl covered steel cable with loops on both ends...and then a long shank master padlock...yeah...thru the scupper hole.

12 hours ago, blackdogfish said:

I use a vinyl covered steel cable with loops on both ends...and then a long shank master padlock...yeah...thru the scupper hole.

I use the really thick one and pass it through the mirage well. Get the rubber coated lock so it won't scratch your roof.