ThrowinPlugs

Keeping Hobie on roof while I'm at work?

25 posts in this topic

Hey all, so tomorrow's looking like a perfect tide for me to take the yak out after work, but unfortunately for me to go home, grab it, and head to the water would be about an hour out of the way. I was thinking of just throwing it on my rack for the day and venturing out right after. Now, am I risking hull damage from the heat/sun by leaving it up there all day? Obviously I'd loosen the straps until I left but do I risk the hull melting or deforming?

If you are talking just for the day ,go for it ,those hulls are made to be out in the sun.  Now if you are saying storing it out side,that's a different story.  We're past the high temps anyway.

Do you transport your kayak upside down or right side up.

Upside down is best for your hull and gas mileage.

If you transport right side up do you have saddles.

Saddles would prevent the bars from denting your hull.

If you don't have  saddles and transport right side up you may 

want to put some padding on your load bars.

As the weather gets cooler there  is less change of hull damage.

Sun plus warm weather really softens the hull.

More likely to get stolen depending on where you park.

Good luck with your decision.

1 hour ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Hey all, so tomorrow's looking like a perfect tide for me to take the yak out after work, but unfortunately for me to go home, grab it, and head to the water would be about an hour out of the way. I was thinking of just throwing it on my rack for the day and venturing out right after. Now, am I risking hull damage from the heat/sun by leaving it up there all day? Obviously I'd loosen the straps until I left but do I risk the hull melting or deforming?

You'll be fine, ive left my Hobie on my truck rack for a few days in the sun while on vacation. I loosened the straps a little bit just in case. Both of my Hobies have lived their entire lives out in the direct sun.

11 mins ago, odiemike86 said:

You'll be fine, ive left my Hobie on my truck rack for a few days in the sun while on vacation. I loosened the straps a little bit just in case. Both of my Hobies have lived their entire lives out in the direct sun.

If this was me, id have to leave a note taped on my steering wheel to re tighten before driving off...... id definitely forget :waiting:

I leave my Hobie on my roof all season.  My season starts in January and ends in December.  Kayak is upside down on the rack.

It's fine.  Occasionally the hull will warp a little, but it always goes back.  no need to loosen the straps.

2 hours ago, Slappy said:

I leave my Hobie on my roof all season.  My season starts in January and ends in December.  Kayak is upside down on the rack.

It's fine.  Occasionally the hull will warp a little, but it always goes back.  no need to loosen the straps.

Glad you posted this info. This will save a lot of people a lot of unnessary work.

23 mins ago, Dieseldog13 said:

Glad you posted this info. This will save a lot of people a lot of unnessary work.

I would never remember to tighten the straps if I loosened them.  You have to know your personal limitations both on and off the water.

4 hours ago, BillZ said:

If this was me, id have to leave a note taped on my steering wheel to re tighten before driving off...... id definitely forget :waiting:

I loosen them just a little bit so even if i forgot its not going anywhere. 

After running a rod over and leaving gear, i now do a walk around my truck before i leave to and from fishing.

It's definitely best to have a routine for both loading and unloading you trips so you don't forget to bring or leave your gear..... a method to your madness.

Back to the OP's thread, like most have said here for one day you should be fine.   In any case  most warping or beer canning can be undone with I think a heat gun session.  There's youtube videos on how to do it if in fact you need to de-warp your kayak.   

17 mins ago, flylikabird said:

It's definitely best to have a routine for both loading and unloading you trips so you don't forget to bring or leave your gear..... a method to your madness.

Back to the OP's thread, like most have said here for one day you should be fine.   In any case  most warping or beer canning can be undone with I think a heat gun session.  There's youtube videos on how to do it if in fact you need to de-warp your kayak.   

Thanks bud, yeah I saw that video MANY times lol. Turns out theres a slight flat spot on the side from sitting in the rack for almost 2 months, so maybe itll pop out sitting up there anyway.