Kooky

So Lets Talk Thurs - Fri

Rate this topic

64 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Whats folks thoughts on what Thurs - Sat will produce?  Looks like some nice conditions, good E/NE wind and good surf but not monstrous.  Thoughts, will this kick fishing into gear?  Will it be a dud? Are there not enough fish around to make it worth it?

 

I will def be out after kids baseball game on thursday pm, debating whether it will be worth calling in sick to work on Friday and fish before it gets messy and possibly dirty water after friday pm.

Edited by Kooky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big water will likely stir up the stripers, just not sure that many big fish are in the vicinity. When conditions are right and bait is present, the schoolie bite has been good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Theres been plenty of bigger fish in and around the SoCo area; just need to hone your senses and skills, read some water and take a look at the way majority of the water moves around the lower bay region / oceanfront.  I've been successful for the past three weeks; one of my best days being mid afternoon horrid downpours, and a 4-5' break ever 7-10 sec. This produced 2 fish Boga'd @30lbs(all on top water) along with big gators 10-15lb range.  They are definitely around you just need to pick and choose an area to lock down and find its pattern/bait flow. 

 

*PS- Tons of peanuts + adult bunker moving about so throwing a larger profile with gold bellies/bunker patterns..

Edited by SouthCoastSurfFishermen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dickd said:

Big water will likely stir up the stripers, just not sure that many big fish are in the vicinity. When conditions are right and bait is present, the schoolie bite has been good.

^^ This. ill be out there for sure on thurs. fri ? we'll see. im not as big on getting close to the big surf in my late 60s as i was 20 yrs ago.:eek:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

24 mins ago, SouthCoastSurfFishermen said:

Theres been plenty of bigger fish in and around the SoCo area; just need to hone your senses and skills, read some water and take a look at the way majority of the water moves around the lower bay region / oceanfront.  I've been successful for the past three weeks; one of my best days being mid afternoon horrid downpours, and a 4-5' break ever 7-10 sec. This produced 2 fish Boga'd @30lbs(all on top water) along with big gators 10-15lb range.  They are definitely around you just need to pick and choose an area to lock down and find its pattern/bait flow.

I respectfully disagree.  There may be some bigger fish around, you may have them dialed in (and good for you im jealous) but there are not "plenty".  One persons good experience does not undo other folks poor experiences. Fish are around but finding quality fish is not easy, especially for folks who can only get out 2x per week and only at night.   

Edited by Kooky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

15 mins ago, SouthCoastSurfFishermen said:

Theres been plenty of bigger fish in and around the SoCo area; just need to hone your senses and skills, read some water and take a look at the way majority of the water moves around the lower bay region / oceanfront.  I've been successful for the past three weeks; one of my best days being mid afternoon horrid downpours, and a 4-5' break ever 7-10 sec. This produced 2 fish Boga'd @30lbs(all on top water) along with big gators 10-15lb range.  They are definitely around you just need to pick and choose an area to lock down and find its pattern/bait flow.

Nice work. That’s what you gotta do these days 

Edited by rbart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of my better fish have come on pencils the last 3 years. Conditions haven’t really mattered as long as there’s peanuts present.  Obviously people are picking them off in the dark, but I’ll take 20-30# fish during the day over pounding it all night for a true jumbo . Getting soft in my old age...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a nice opportunity to stick some decent fish. East/Northeast wind of 25mph will churn up some nice conditions barring heavy sand pollution. May be tin city on the western shores of gansett depending on gusts.

There are larger fish out there than the schoolie pick. Got into them last week and had a ball. Have pics but won't post, don't want to start a stampede. They are not in large numbers and will take time to dial into what they like which of course takes time.

Expanding off Rbart's post, pick a safe, fishy spot and hunker down for the long haul. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't overlook the funny fish in these conditions - while a lot of places will have muddy water, there are some well known spots (of which I won't mention due to obvious over-specific details) that are protected and the water usually stays clean in those conditions...and these are places bonito and/or albacore often hang out when most folks are complaining the water conditions pushed these fish offshore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm heading to Maine for a wedding this weekend so obviously it is going to blow up with cows and albies everywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, albacized said:

Don't overlook the funny fish in these conditions - while a lot of places will have muddy water, there are some well known spots (of which I won't mention due to obvious over-specific details) that are protected and the water usually stays clean in those conditions...and these are places bonito and/or albacore often hang out when most folks are complaining the water conditions pushed these fish offshore

I will be at those spots on Friday morning.  I'm not crazy about funny fish, but I need a little break from the poor bass fishing I had over the new moon (north of Boston).  Once the mullet start dropping out in the next few weeks I will hit it hard again...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Official South County-->BI "sector" forecast for the time period in question.

Screenshot_20190904-151708_Chrome.jpg.d14fb694fc1db203ec420e24a8b9b8c6.jpg

 

Big swells, but not impossible.

Big wind, but not ridiculous.

 

Just be careful out there guys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

fishing up inside the ponds/breachways can be good when it gets too nautical out front also.  Years ago I was supposed to meet up with Eben and Vic during some crap weather like we have coming, they changed plans and found a spot up inside and pounded large fish while I got pounded out front cause I was too stubborn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.