Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JerseyMike609

Pinellas County In January

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

So I go down to New Port Richie after xmas every year for 2 weeks and I try to get some fishing in but I no nothing about the fishing down what so ever so it doesnt always go well.Is there any advice someone could give me baits/species/water type or anything that could help me,Thanks!

There are lots of great fishing that time of year. Its a good time to walk and wade for redfish. There will be plenty of trout on the flats too.  I fly fish but small jigs work great. Will you have access to a boat? Can you be more specific about were you want to fish. 

Assuming you're not boat fishing I would avoid the gulf beaches and stick to the back bay flats.  Wade fishing can be productive. Water will likely be chilly so waders are a good idea.  Assuming you're somewhat of a novice I would forget about lures and get yourself a Cajun thunder popping cork and fish with live shrimp.  Its really your best chance to catch something.

On 9/19/2019 at 6:57 PM, kroc said:

Assuming you're not boat fishing I would avoid the gulf beaches and stick to the back bay flats.  Wade fishing can be productive. Water will likely be chilly so waders are a good idea.  Assuming you're somewhat of a novice I would forget about lures and get yourself a Cajun thunder popping cork and fish with live shrimp.  Its really your best chance to catch something.

I fish the Northeast I'm not a novice but the people who take me fishing while I'm down there are.We usually get shrimp and fish them in the areas you recommend I just wasnt sure if I should be doing something els because that is not the type of fishing im used to doing.I was planning to hit the beach this year lol guess not.

On 9/19/2019 at 6:57 PM, kroc said:

But yes I am strictly fishing from land probably from tampa down to clearwater and I stay somewhere in between.Thanks for the advice.

10 hours ago, JerseyMike609 said:

But yes I am strictly fishing from land probably from tampa down to clearwater and I stay somewhere in between.Thanks for the advice.

Your welcome.  I'm a Jersey Mike as well, lived in Toms River for 40 years before moving to FL.  January can be a tough month because the cold fronts start moving in. Not northeast cold but low temps in the 40's is not unheard of and these snaps can temporarily shut down the fishing.  Just don't know if anything can be had off the gulf beaches that time of year, definitely not snook.