luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - September 2019

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

Tough couple of days of fishing. Thursday conditions were perfect- I was fishing with whole finger mullet and a bunch got bit in half. As I started changing it up a bit the lightning started. We decided to be cautious and stopped fishing. Friday winds were crazy, 8oz held but just barely and even that got pushed around. 15-20 mph winds coming in from the east made casting fun. Either way, there is no bad trip to Assateague. Looking forward to getting back out there again, hopefully in a few weeks. 

6 hours ago, MrObo said:

Tough couple of days of fishing. Thursday conditions were perfect- I was fishing with whole finger mullet and a bunch got bit in half. As I started changing it up a bit the lightning started. 

Big finger mullet with the tail snipped have been very good to me as drum bait. However they are next to useless for drum if snapper blues are abundant, they chop them up so quick. One day last year I bought 60 fingers at Bucks to use as drum bait and I was down to less than 20 in just a few hours the snappers were so bad. This is when it is time to fish small strips of the fingers on tiny hooks to catch the snappers and use the blue head or chunk for the big fish. 

Tough time at OC Inlet this week during BikeFest. Jigged a bucktail, Topwater at sunrise, Mag darter before sun was about to start peaking over horizon, SP Minnow in the dark in super windy conditions. After thinking I hooked onto a small striper found out it was a blue with the teeth marks on my SP Minnow. also decided to drop by All tackle which is a great store for anyone in Oc

Sheepshead are being caught on crabs, blues and schoolies are caught at the pier with people using shrimp.

On 9/14/2019 at 5:53 AM, BLilly said:

Had a good week on AIVA once the parking lots opened back up after Dorian, which seemed to take forever given the damage (or lack of). Ended up with a nice variety of fish (mostly small), ranging from spot, blues, rockfish, flounder, puppy drum, etc. The highlight of the week was landing a 37" drum.

drum.png

Great time of the year for variety. Thanks for the report. 

55 mins ago, DerrickT said:

Yea the other pic I saw looks better

Yeah I haven't had time to do any editing to the pics so y'all don't bust me for spot burning (Jimmy cropped the pic you saw before posting it).

6 hours ago, BLilly said:

Yeah I haven't had time to do any editing to the pics so y'all don't bust me for spot burning (Jimmy cropped the pic you saw before posting it).

:laugh: I haven't been out yet to see if any of the spots I marked in the spring are still there.  I dont think that good cut is there anymore that was there for 2 years.   Atleast I couldnt find it when we were out this spring with the kids and i disnt see it last fall when we were out.

Hopefully it doesn't turn into a parking lot run again.

Fished out front in Delaware today.  Had a schoolie striper on squid early and cocktail blues on mullet throughout the day. Nothing would touch FBBW, blue heads, or squid any other time. Hoping it picks up tomorrow for my last day.

Last day and had 2 schoolies on squid and a few cocktail blues and one bigger one on mullet out front.  Wind was tough; had to use 6oz to hold bottom.  Another great trip in the books!  Wish I could do it more often!

14 hours ago, Bob fishhead Sproul said:

Water churned all the way down to the hook. Managed one small flounder. No pickers around even! Will try again in the morning to fish the incoming. 

Fishable today. 6oz holding tight. 

Lots of sod chunks around the CG station 

IMG_20190920_081923873.jpg.eba6fb22966426d847807922aa6dbc36.jpg

7 hours ago, Bob fishhead Sproul said:

Fishable today. 6oz holding tight. 

Lots of sod chunks around the CG station 

IMG_20190920_081923873.jpg.eba6fb22966426d847807922aa6dbc36.jpg

Is it washing over at high tide? The sand near the dune looks like it. I got stranded a few times last year with washover north and south of me. Not a good feeling!

1 hour ago, steve maranto said:

Is it washing over at high tide? The sand near the dune looks like it. I got stranded a few times last year with washover north and south of me. Not a good feeling!

Unfortunately it is washing over both north and south of there :( It's dicey to even drive it an hour on either side of high. The hook is flat, one small tide pool, and probably not much sand exposed at high tide if I had to guess.

I spoke with a maintenance guy for a bit. He was saying that there was a bit of talk about pumping in sand. I never believed in that approach but I don't think the beach will reappear on it's own, mainly due to the fact that there are virtually no dunes, grass or other vegetation south of the parking lots. 

Thanks for the info.  It was washing over in a number of spots last year and the narrow stretch barely had a truck width to pass through when the tide was up. Sounds like conditions have deteriorated further.  Let's hope we're spared from anymore big storms this fall.