Nomad92

Frog box / storage

9 posts in this topic

I've amassed quite a few topwater frogs and don't have a good storage system for them. Currently using a Plano 3700 box without any dividers...just the three long rows. All the frogs are a mess inside, especially after transport when they're all jammed to one side. Does anyone have a better solution? I can't find a tackle box or storage for frogs specifically. I could do a DIY with all the extra junk I've got laying around but I'm not sure where to begin. If anyone knows of a good box on the market that works well for frogs, please let me know. Or if you've put something together that works well, please share details. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Nomad:  Now this may sound crazy, but I have been buying compartmentalized boxes in the jewelry department at Michael's.  They have a wide selection of boxes with and without removable dividers.  Before you spend a lot of $, check them out first.  Once I have a number of said boxes filled, I pack the smaller ones in Michael's scrap book containers.  Especially good on trips where you can organize all the pertinent fly boxes in one place.  Give 'em a looksee!!

8 hours ago, flyrodder44 said:

Nomad:  Now this may sound crazy, but I have been buying compartmentalized boxes in the jewelry department at Michael's.  They have a wide selection of boxes with and without removable dividers.  Before you spend a lot of $, check them out first.  Once I have a number of said boxes filled, I pack the smaller ones in Michael's scrap book containers.  Especially good on trips where you can organize all the pertinent fly boxes in one place.  Give 'em a looksee!!

I get mine at Hobby Lobby, a lot more choices in sizes and with the coupons that my wife gets there not bad (espically when I just throw it in with her stuff and she pays).  They're still made by Flambeau they just don't have the rust preventer.

I get the waterproof husky brand boxes at the home depot.  I fish mostly on my kayak so the boxes get wet so the waterproof seal is a nice feature. They are not too expensive either

Been using the Flambeau 5007 for my frogs/ baits. 4 rows and comes with dividers. Easy to find @ the usual retailers. Cost around $5.00. Never seen a "frog specific" box. 

Ne_Dan:  I always take my wife.  She goes in with so many coupons, they pay us to leave the store.  She usually pays for everything and I generally forget to pay her back.  My daughter and I once did this routine when buying a pickup truck and she was the only one who showed up with a check book.  The truck is long gone and so is our reimbursement!!  But, please, don't remind her.   :howdy:

On 9/4/2019 at 11:54 PM, flyrodder44 said:

Thank you! I've got a Michaels and hobby lobby within 5 mins from my job. I've purchased other items for fishing related use at the two stores...why didn't I think to check on something like this?? I'm on it Monday! Thanks to everyone who responded. My frog pile will now have a respectable home. 

Something I started doing a few years ago is on the hollow body frogs.........Load up your storage container with baby powder, this keeps the leg strands pliable and separated. Storing them wet was causing them to "melt" together.