Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Angler #1

River Herring On the rise

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

The recent report by the DMF indicates that with over 100 active runs in our state that some have increased, especially the Mystic River in Medford,  Nemasket in Middleborough Monument in Bourne, Herring river in Harwich all exceeded a half a million fish with the herring river with over 1 million fish in 17 years of counting. Sure signs of increased herring has been attributed to local stewardship and close coordination between the DMF fishway crew and project partners to identify passage improvements. Two projects that with out question helped to increase the passage to Pilgrim Lake in Orleans and Forge Pond Dam in Kingston to make the passage easier to get to Silver lake at the top of this years accomplishments  as being part of the on going attempts to make the Fishway ladders part of the process in rebuilding this fishery for the future.  To bad they did not rise up and do something about the declining striped bass stocks that every one has seen on a constant decline over the past several years . The public hearing at the Maritime Academy in October should go a long way to make a situation that places the resource with more stringent requirements before it is surely to late . If all of the information about the river and sea herring are accurate it should not be as a result of no food to keep the bass growing. 

I'm all for allowing folks to take a few herring a week. If it was done in a civilized manner.

Sadly, I believe this would be impossible.

I think of those disrespectful hordes of canal anglers invading our local brooks and woods and cringe.

Herds of em searching for a herring 24/7.......A bit like the walking dead I guess....... 

7 mins ago, robc22 said:

I'm all for allowing folks to take a few herring a week. If it was done in a civilized manner.

I think of those disrespectful hordes of canal anglers invading our local brooks and woods and cringe.

Herds of em searching for a herring 24/7.......A bit like the walking dead I guess....... 

Agree Rob.

I'd like a few to smoke.  Some for lobster bait. But never again for bass bait. Look at how the bass have been abused, overfished, poached and disrespected. The poor herring would never stand a chance. What little gain we've accrued would be wiped out in one year.

17 mins ago, bob_G said:

Agree Rob.

I'd like a few to smoke.  Some for lobster bait. But never again for bass bait. Look at how the bass have been abused, overfished, poached and disrespected. The poor herring would never stand a chance. What little gain we've accrued would be wiped out in one year.

Well I sure as heck miss my mother's pickled river herring. 

The run's were a great lobster bait resource for rec. lobster folks.

Losing that was no fun. 

It's nice to watch the herring come back. Especially in many of the small, not well known runs.......

1 hour ago, robc22 said:

Rob in another time and place that may have been possible, but not any longer with the present mentality of some, especially those who poach. Many of the runs that were compromised over the years have come back to some sustainable numbers and we all need to do our part in keeping it that way, even the commercial fleet that nets them away from the runs . We may not have bass of size in large numbers, but we do have smaller bass in greater numbers then I have seen around here in years and they will need this food supply at some point