surfhead

Help plan a fishing trip

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

I got 10 days off in October, might skip my semi annual trip to the Obx and head to South Jersey, or Delmarva area

I like chunking on the beach, casting in the outlets and jettys, fishing for togs and blk bass off head boats.

Any suggestions for a good bight the 2nd week? Thanks Sol.

20 hours ago, surfhead said:

I got 10 days off in October, might skip my semi annual trip to the Obx and head to South Jersey, or Delmarva area

I like chunking on the beach, casting in the outlets and jettys, fishing for togs and blk bass off head boats.

Any suggestions for a good bight the 2nd week? Thanks Sol.

So our tog bite in NJ doesn't really get "good" until November, and your bag limit in October is 1 fish. You can catch them on any head boat that's bottom fishing. Our sea bass fishery in NJ is outstanding, and the fall bite can be spectacular. Boats in October will not be running offshore to catch them, so most trips will stay within 10 miles where you'll be catching sea bass, tog, and porgies.

Chunking for stripers can be productive, but the 2nd week of October could be a crap shoot. With that being said the migration would be on by that point, and you definitely have a chance at stripers and blues. 

As far as where to go in south Jersey, the sky is the limit. Public places like Island Beach State Park could be good; you could fish the jetty for bottom fish and then chunk the surf. 

After doing research it looks like Rhoad Island might be a go.

Talked to a nice lady at Seven B's V party boats and I'll be arriving around opening day for the tog bite.

I guess I better find a tog set up, any suggestions?

Thanks, SOL

1 hour ago, ermghoti said:

Are you going to be togging regularly? Otherwise the rig would be a little specific. Is there some medium-heavy bottom fishing closer to you?

Most likely only once or twice a year. I picked up this Truth sg a couple years ago for a really good price and just got this xxh

Nexus 7' feels like overkill to me

but unsure. I'm looking for a 2nd setup to cover my bases.

Also would like a surf/jetty setup for jigs and plugs.

20190910_083206.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

32 mins ago, surfhead said:

Most likely only once or twice a year. I picked up this Truth sg a couple years ago for a really good price and just got this xxh

Nexus 7' feels like overkill to me

but unsure. I'm looking for a 2nd setup to cover my bases.

Also would like a surf/jetty setup for jigs and plugs.

20190910_083206.jpg

That's on the heavy end of reasonable, would be good for deep water/heavy sinkers/big fish. You could get the same rod in MH if you have a burning need to buy something. I have a Lami BL7030CT on the way, which is a steak and potatoes togging stick. Guys like narrow reels, as you're not using a lot of line, and it's easier to thumb the line around. Other way to go is a rugged levelwind, even some stout lo-pros have a following, like Lexa, Tranx and Komodo.

Edit: Ksong will be along shortly to recommend a Challenger Bank 731M or a Charter Special 73MH.

Edited by ermghoti

On 9/4/2019 at 8:36 AM, TopwaterPete said:

So our tog bite in NJ doesn't really get "good" until November, and your bag limit in October is 1 fish. You can catch them on any head boat that's bottom fishing. Our sea bass fishery in NJ is outstanding, and the fall bite can be spectacular. Boats in October will not be running offshore to catch them, so most trips will stay within 10 miles where you'll be catching sea bass, tog, and porgies.

Chunking for stripers can be productive, but the 2nd week of October could be a crap shoot. With that being said the migration would be on by that point, and you definitely have a chance at stripers and blues. 

As far as where to go in south Jersey, the sky is the limit. Public places like Island Beach State Park could be good; you could fish the jetty for bottom fish and then chunk the surf. 

at this point, I think sea bass is outstanding everywhere….they are unbelievable up here (RI). truly one of the rare success story in fisheries. 

2 hours ago, ermghoti said:

That's on the heavy end of reasonable, would be good for deep water/heavy sinkers/big fish. You could get the same rod in MH if you have a burning need to buy something. I have a Lami BL7030CT on the way, which is a steak and potatoes togging stick. Guys like narrow reels, as you're not using a lot of line, and it's easier to thumb the line around. Other way to go is a rugged levelwind, even some stout lo-pros have a following, like Lexa, Tranx and Komodo.

Edit: Ksong will be along shortly to recommend a Challenger Bank 731M or a Charter Special 73MH.

Thanks for the reply.

I was afraid of that, where did you order your 7030ct from?