Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
seaped

What color bottom paint?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

I’m going to have to wet dock my boat for the next year in St. Augustine FL. So I’m going to have to paint the bottom. Here are 3 color options. Which one do you like? Any other color you think will work? 

F78D44B1-3D5B-4542-A3BC-4D1F991B5780.jpeg

8EBFBBA5-6B77-498A-806E-731359FD7EA5.jpeg

2896C3C3-927C-4577-8671-2913F7EABAD4.jpeg

White bottom paint always looks like **** after 2 weeks in the water and it’s impossible to get clean.  Red Looks weird. I prefer blue but it’s a coin flip between black and blue.

On 9/3/2019 at 11:57 AM, JimW said:

Black, but something that contrasts with color under it so you can see wear and what you will need to touch up following year

No matter the color you pick, this is great advice

Red..to my way thinking,   the only time the bottom color will matter is if the boat's upside down.. then I want it to be easily spotted.. if we're talking about looks, no point in asking other people what their favorite color is.. get whatever YOU like ..it's your boat.. 

48 mins ago, salt deficient said:

I'd go with red.  No scientific evidence, but water absorbs red light best.  Might spook the fish a bit less. 

Well I'll give you that one as I've never heard that nonsense before :clap:

I will triple the two contrasting colors.  Used ot do this on my sailboats, allowed a lot of touch ups without having to redo a whole bottom.  Every 2-3 years would take it all off and start over.  

Black, Before any painting do the prep work really well.  Light sanding to get any wax or mold release left on the hull. I had a major issue with a new boat I bgt, had a yard  do the bottom paint the first time thinking they would do it right, NOT. Paint never fully adhered to the bottom and I paid for it ever since. I would have them put a primer on before painting.