Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
codfish

sad stuff

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

This is the worst possible news. Of all the rivers to be impacted, the Deerfield.  Of course all birds and animals in the food chain will now feed on these dead fish, and they'll be in turn get poisoned. 

The polluter with undoubtedly get fined. But he also should be made to pay for species restoration along the entire length of the river.

I don't think the animals feeding on the dead fish will be poisoned.  Just think of them as pickled.  We eat that kind of stuff all the time.

The 2003 fine was a pittance. i hope they throw the book at them this time. multiple issues going on from killing endangered species to not notifying the public. 

Just an FYI since these things are being pushed in the press right now;

Everyone who's on the water should watch out for stuff like this. You could stop a leak that might be serious. 

Even septic systems. We've all seen and smelled the water seeping from the bank behind all the old cottages. 

Call it in.

https://www.mass.gov/how-to/report-a-spill-or-environmental-emergency

If you are curious about what DEP does with polluters you can read it here. I believe you can search on specific companies and even individual operators.

Note the low $$$ penalties which critics call slap on wrist, or even collusion with polluters. In truth, DEP uses all the tools the law gives it. Those are the fines that supposedly cripples our economy in favor of stupid fishes. 

If these spills and weak fines upset you, do your dam homework before you vote.

https://www.mass.gov/lists/massdep-enforcement-updates-yearmonth

1 min ago, Colrain said:

This sucks. Been fishing this river for years. 

As disasters go, it is one the river should recover from.

The pH will return to normal quick and life will return from other parts of the river.

Birds and animals that eat dead fish will not be harmed. The acid will be neutralized and nothing will remain.

Not at all to minimize or defend any screw ups. Just trying to put in perspective. 

Stories in the press have everything dead in the river and dogs and kids "almost killed".

Maybe the person who discovered it is not prone to exaggeration, but people on forums/f-book ARE definitely exaggerating - due to ignorance or lack of info.

As MikeZ said, it is probably not the catastrophe it’s made out to be.  Unfortunately, fish are very susceptible to a change in pH and displacement of oxygenated water.   The pH of the river likely changed and normalized rapidly as the slug of acidic water moved thru the river and got diluted.

Other than a very unfortunate fish kill, things are likely back to normal.

11 hours ago, odiemike86 said:

The fine will likely be minimal and it will happen again.

It did happen again......

10 mins ago, flylikabird said:

It did happen again......

Last time the fine was $30,000, in the 90s.

I don't know any details of that one or the recent one, but I will say, something that happens at 2:00 am sunday night on a long weekend could run a long time before anyone caught it.

It's possible there was no alarm although I'd be surprised if there wasn't. 

They may have felt safe because they had the correct sized containment so in theory they could drop the whole inventory of acid without any getting out.

Obviously, something went wrong with containment or no acid could escape. 

I most want to know if there was an alarm, did it dial out? When did the operator respond and what did he do?